Getting Dad moved on to another home

Kate_S

Aug 24, 2013
Hi,

This is my first post, so sorry if its been answered before.

My dad is in an assessment home and has been there for 2 months. He was only meant to be there for 5 weeks. Mum who is 83 visists him every day, and me and my brother get to visit as much as we can also. It takes mum 2 buses there and back. The home is great , but we are trying to get him moved to nearer's mums place as it is taking a toll on her health as well. the NHS are being very slow. they have not assessed my parents finances yet, or even checked out their own flat for suitability( it is not, as Mum can't care for Dad anymore). Mum took the initiative and contacted her GP who is great, and she has been advised that following the GP contacting the home, Dad is the top of the list for the home we would like (just awaiting a vacancy). When she told the care co-ordinator at the home, she was told that 'her Gp can't do that ' as no financial assessment has been done. Surely Dad and mum are the GP's patients and he can take the initiative? Or am I wrong in this? There seems to be no joined up co-ordination, and we are very worried that Dad will be moved to a place even further away ( as they previously suggested) for another assessment. They know he has dementia and Parkinsons already,and my Mum has said it is taking a toll on her health and she cannot keep travelling every day to a place that will be even further away . Mum's needs are being ignored here. Do you think her GP can take the lead here or are we all meddling too much? Mum is of the generation that doesn't want to make a fuss. Any advice /comments would be greatly appreciated

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Kate

I`m not sure of the legalities of procedure but if the Social Services and NHS are dragging their feet regarding a move for your dad and his GP is supportive I would do exactly as you are doing now.

It`s no good people saying you can`t do this or that because your dad hasn`t been assessed yet. It`s up to them to get the ball rolling and conduct the financial assessment in your dad`s best interests.

I would continue to act on your mum`s behalf if she is the type who doesn`t want to make a fuss. You can be quietly assertive but just keep reminding them how much this anxiety is affecting your mother`s health.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
You can do a quick financial assessment yourself to see what is likely to be the result. However you need to go back to the beginning.

Why was your dad in a assessment centre?
Was he sectioned at any stage? If he was on a Section 3 then the financial assessment is easy. His aftercare is fully funded by the NHS under Section 117 Aftercare.

If none of the above then tell us under what circumstances he is in and will star in residential care. Who put him there and what were their reasons. I am trying to establish whether your dad's care needs qualify him for CHC funding perhaps. If CHC funding is not on the cards then the financial assessment would go as follows...

If your mum and dad own their own home and mum is going to stay on in the home then the value of the home would be disregarded from any financial assessment.

That would then leave any savings that they have. If dad has his own savings they would count towards his financial savings. If savings are held jointly then they would be divided in two with half going on your dad's pile. Having worked out how much is in dad's total pile the following would apply.

If his savings are below £14500 then the LA pays all his care fees. They will taken his pension and half of any private pension (other half goes to mum) as a contribution to his care.

If his savings are between £14500 and £23500 then there is a tariff that would apply as follows...they would take the income as per the above PLUS an additional sum for the savings that are above £14500. This is calculated as a weekly sum of £4 for every £1000 he has above the £14500 baseline. So, lets say he has savings of £23500' the contribution would be ...(£23500 -£14500) =£9000 (£4 for every £1000, per week) = 4 x 9 = £36 per week.

If dad has more than £23500 in savings then he would be self funding so would pay all his care home fees until the savings reach £23500 BUT he keeps his pensions etc as a contribution towards this.

So, there you have it. You could help mum get ready for the financial assessment and make sure her paperwork eg bank statements etc are in order as she will have to provide evidence of the current balances etc.

If you want to be smarter and more knowledgeable than the likes of the care coordinator and to make sure they make no mistakes that cause delays, then get hold of what is referred to as CRAG Charging for Residential Accommodation Guidance. You can find it online and print it off if you wish.

The above is a quick and dirty calculation but if your parents finances are more complicated then it would take more specific checking. If you have any questions then just let us know.

PS..your mum and GP are doing the right thing by taking the initiative. Sometimes you need to shake the tree and shout loud to get what is needed!!!

Fiona

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Kate and welcome to TP.

As Sylvia says just keep on supporting your Mum and be her 'voice'. One more thing I would add is that it could be worthwhile citing the Human Rights Act which states that everyone is entitled to a family life. That includes a spouse/family being able to visit their relatives in a CH.If your Dad is moved even further away that guidance couldn't be followed.

Take care

Lyn T

Kate_S

Aug 24, 2013
Thank you very much. I will do as you suggest
I`m not sure of the legalities of procedure but if the Social Services and NHS are dragging their feet regarding a move for your dad and his GP is supportive I would do exactly as you are doing now.

It`s no good people saying you can`t do this or that because your dad hasn`t been assessed yet. It`s up to them to get the ball rolling and conduct the financial assessment in your dad`s best interests.

I would continue to act on your mum`s behalf if she is the type who doesn`t want to make a fuss. You can be quietly assertive but just keep reminding them how much this anxiety is affecting your mother`s health.

Kate_S

Aug 24, 2013
Thank you. this is very helpful. Dad had fallen at home several times. His mental health was not too good but manageable, he has since gone downhill. The home was to assess him, in terms of getting him physiotherapy, strengthen him in order to use his walking frame etc. But apart from one or two sessions of physio nothing else seems to have happened.He was not senctioned thankfully.The information about the finances is very useful. I will let mum know and check out CRAG
You can do a quick financial assessment yourself to see what is likely to be the result. However you need to go back to the beginning.

Why was your dad in a assessment centre?
Was he sectioned at any stage? If he was on a Section 3 then the financial assessment is easy. His aftercare is fully funded by the NHS under Section 117 Aftercare.

If none of the above then tell us under what circumstances he is in and will star in residential care. Who put him there and what were their reasons. I am trying to establish whether your dad's care needs qualify him for CHC funding perhaps. If CHC funding is not on the cards then the financial assessment would go as follows...

If your mum and dad own their own home and mum is going to stay on in the home then the value of the home would be disregarded from any financial assessment.

That would then leave any savings that they have. If dad has his own savings they would count towards his financial savings. If savings are held jointly then they would be divided in two with half going on your dad's pile. Having worked out how much is in dad's total pile the following would apply.

If his savings are below £14500 then the LA pays all his care fees. They will taken his pension and half of any private pension (other half goes to mum) as a contribution to his care.

If his savings are between £14500 and £23500 then there is a tariff that would apply as follows...they would take the income as per the above PLUS an additional sum for the savings that are above £14500. This is calculated as a weekly sum of £4 for every £1000 he has above the £14500 baseline. So, lets say he has savings of £23500' the contribution would be ...(£23500 -£14500) =£9000 (£4 for every £1000, per week) = 4 x 9 = £36 per week.

If dad has more than £23500 in savings then he would be self funding so would pay all his care home fees until the savings reach £23500 BUT he keeps his pensions etc as a contribution towards this.

So, there you have it. You could help mum get ready for the financial assessment and make sure her paperwork eg bank statements etc are in order as she will have to provide evidence of the current balances etc.

If you want to be smarter and more knowledgeable than the likes of the care coordinator and to make sure they make no mistakes that cause delays, then get hold of what is referred to as CRAG Charging for Residential Accommodation Guidance. You can find it online and print it off if you wish.

The above is a quick and dirty calculation but if your parents finances are more complicated then it would take more specific checking. If you have any questions then just let us know.

PS..your mum and GP are doing the right thing by taking the initiative. Sometimes you need to shake the tree and shout loud to get what is needed!!!

Fiona

Kate_S

Aug 24, 2013
Thanks very much. I had not thought of the human rights act! I will certainly mention it if they keep talking about moving Dad further away
Hi Kate and welcome to TP.

As Sylvia says just keep on supporting your Mum and be her 'voice'. One more thing I would add is that it could be worthwhile citing the Human Rights Act which states that everyone is entitled to a family life. That includes a spouse/family being able to visit their relatives in a CH.If your Dad is moved even further away that guidance couldn't be followed.

Take care

Lyn T