1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Getting Back To UK From Germany

Discussion in 'Middle - later stages of dementia' started by CatKins 1, Aug 14, 2015.

1. CatKins 1

CatKins 1 Registered User

Aug 1, 2015
    Hello :) Am going to try and get my sister who has Alzheimer's / vascular dementia back to the UK from a care home in Germany. Things have not been going too well there. This seems like a logistical nightmare... not to mention that my sister may not be able to cope with the journey back. If I leave it much longer it will be too late due to the advanced stage of her dementia. If anyone has any experience of doing this, would appreciate hearing from you with any information/tips. Thank you.

2. DeborahBlythe

DeborahBlythe Registered User

Dec 1, 2006
    Hello CatKins, could I just ask whether you are planning to move your sister close to where you yourself live, or close to other friends and relatives? I am having visions of your sister coming to the UK and perhaps being near to where she used to live, maybe, but not necessarily having any visitors to keep an eye on her. (Just my daft brain going into overdrive) Can you say what the problems in the care home were?

3. Angela T

Angela T Registered User

Jul 13, 2014
    France
    #3 Angela T, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Hello Catkins,

I have experience of moving my mother from a NH in London, to a NH in Lyon, France (in July).

The journey went much better than I expected, despite cancelled trains because of strikes, and having to spend the night in a hotel and travel the next day - my mother actually enjoyed all the excitement of it all!

Why do you want to move your sister from Germany to the UK, and what do you mean when you talk about the move being a logistical nightmare ?

Angela

4. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    There's a link below to something the Red Cross were doing a while back, you could try asking them, they have trained volunteers, it may be worth asking they may be able to give you some advice if not any actual assistance.
    I assume you're intending to fly which is probably the best thing get it over in a couple of hours but might it be easier if someone in the family could bring her back by car?
    Depending on where you are you could use a ferry to break up the trip, you need only drive from Germany to say Holland, get the ferry to Hull or Harwich, 2 people sharing the driving and you and your sister in the back plus you could fill the boot with her stuff. You may even be able to get a ferry to the UK from a German port, I've sailed from Rostock but that was to Denmark.
    Just a thought it might be a none starter if her health is bad, but if she has a German EHIC card then you could always pull into the nearest hospital if anything happened.
    K

http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/News/2012/March/Volunteers-on-hand-to-help-dementia-patients

5. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015
    Hello Deborah, thank you. As my sister does not have any other relatives, I am hoping to move her near where I am living. Can then visit to see how she is getting on. Probably best if I don't put out in the public domain my concerns about the care home. My sister is very vulnerable and on her own in Germany but if the care was good in the home, and she was being physically and mentally looked after, I probably would think it was best if she stayed there.

6. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015

7. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015

8. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    I might be talking out of my rear end here, but, regarding the lost passport, would the British Embassy closest to the home where she is living be able to help or advise you about that? In the same way that someone who was on holiday and lost their passport would probably get help from there is what I mean. Has she got a current British passport, just lost, or a German one? If it's a German one then their passport office would probably be the first port of call. You probably won't be able to do anything until you have that sorted out.

9. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    May I ask where you are going to move her to? If she's in a care home now and with all the problems you mention then she ought to be in a care home here if she can't live with you. Please don't underestimate how confusing a change of scenery and in her case, even country will be. She won't know where she is. She won't be able to live on her own. Can she stay with someone until you've got something permanent sorted out?

Also, with you not having POA, didn't you say someone in German has it instead? Are they agreeable to you moving her to the UK? You don't want to get into legal difficulties as well as logistical ones. You really need to think this all through carefully.

10. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015

11. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009

12. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015

13. CatKins 1

Aug 1, 2015
    Thank you Sue J, will check out the website. :)