Getting a diagnosis will be a problem

Lamb100

Mar 10, 2021
Not sure how getting a diagnosis will work. Our relative is house bound not able to walk so unable to go to the surgery. A phone consultation is not option really as she does not like using the phone. Has anyone had a GP come out for a home visit for a dementia diagnosis recently?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Myring When dad was suspected of having dementia his GP referred him to the memory clinic and they sent out a nurse to give dad a memory test, he was then given an appointment for a head scan at the hospital. A couple of months later the nurse came to his home and gave him his diagnosis of alzheimers. I was with him at every appointment. I think this is the usual way of reaching a diagnosis because they like to see the patient in their own home as it helps with the assessment.

I really think that your relatives GP should be able to refer them to the memory clinic and if your relative is house bound and unable to walk then the GP should be willing to do a home visit before the referral. I can't see how a phone consultation would work if you suspect dementia because my dad could chat for ages on the phone but it would be very one sided. I was very lucky with dads GP as he was old school and did home visits for frail and elderly patients, he was also sensible enough to realise that he needed to speak to me, not dad if he wanted a proper answer but I don't suppose this is the norm.

The problem is whether your relatives GP will discuss your relatives state of health with you and also the situation with covid at the moment. Things may not be as simple as they were before covid but hopefully it may improve soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95