Get together meeting for early dementia patients and carers

Jean1234

Mar 19, 2015
Hi everyone.
Just wanted to tell that I went yesterday to the local get together meeting for people with dementia, Alzheimer's and their carers. The nurse from the memory clinic invited us to it. We weren't sure what it would be like, and at first I could tell that my OH wasn't so keen to be there but he warmed up after a while. It was so relaxed and such a laugh as our coordinator is so bubbly. There was someone from the Alzheimer's Society there who gave a short information chat and handed out leaflets. There was hot drinks and cakes and a raffle and everyone was so friendly and welcoming. The bonus was by the time we left my face ached from smiling and laughing so much. A real tonic as I don't feel as if I have done much laughing or smiling for at least a year what with the worry of what was happening. I came out of that meeting feeling as if I had so much support to call on, not so very isolated as I felt before the diagnosis. I thoroughly recommend going along to these meetings if anyone isn't sure.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
That's really good to hear, Jean, so glad you went along.
If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you keep a folder (an alphabetical one is best) and whenever you pick up leaflets, or receive info through the post, file them in the folder for easy access when needed. I have done this and it helps, especially if I need something in a hurry. I also keep in there all the instruction leaflets etc for the various items of equipment we have, from hospital-type bed to smoke alarms, just so that I can find it easily.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Well done Jean. Keep going to as many groups as you can. Make new contacts. Build up knowledge. It will be easier for both of you later on and you will have someone to lean on in difficult times.

Laughter is indeed the best medicine.