Get any completed LPA registerd now!!!! LPA forms were updated in July this year.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
A few changes have been made.

Old and new forms can still be used till 1 January 2016.

The biggest problem I can see is for those that have completed the old form but not registered it by next year (Waiting time is 8-10 weeks). All is fine if it has been completed correctly but if it has to be returned due to a mistake it looks like the new form will have to be used which if capacity is lost will not be possible.

:)

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...rney-forms-are-changing-from-wednesday-1-july

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Thank you Pete R and Nitram !
I need to get a move on with getting people to witness for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

geum123

May 20, 2009
Thank you Pete R and Nitram !

Ours are as yet unregistered. I must get cracking.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"That could be a complete disaster if people aren't made aware!"

With the old form if the error was in Parts A or B and the donor had lost capacity before registration it meant that deputyship was the only route, minor errors in part C could still be corrected.

The message with LPAs has always been, and still is, register as soon as possible. Errors can be rectified whilst the donor has capacity, the delay of several weeks in registering is avoided - think sudden downturn and immediate need to use the power.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I don't understand why anyone would wait around with registering an LPA with the OPG once it's all signed. It doesn't mean you have to use it or register with banks straight away but at least it means you've sorted it before anything could go wrong.

KingB

May 8, 2011
Berkshire
I recently sent off LPAs for my husband and myself - because the advice is to register straight away in case there are problems. I don't think change of form should make much difference, because I don't think it is possible to alter anything on the main "part A" form anyway.
I decided to register the Property and Finance LPAs to start with - and stupidly sent them off with Health and Welfare Part Cs. OPG simply wrote to say they were the wrong ones and we would need to send in the correct ones. Just to be EXTRA stupid I had managed to put my husband's date of birth on the part A form as 14.2.1991 instead of 1961. Apparently this won't affect the validity of the legal document and they will register it anyway even with the error (I rang the helpline to double check because I couldn't quite believe the letter) - but they definitely would not let me amend the error (I guess the only way would have been to abandon the original and start again from scratch with a new fee).
Will be glad when they've been registered and I can just file them away and hope not to use them! We have done them early (we are early 50s) because the future is unpredictable and having had EPA for my parents has made life nice and simple so we are following their lead