Geriatric Psychiarist

katlady47q

Dec 21, 2014
Has anyone had experience good or bad with a geriatric psychiatrist for a spouse with dementia and delusions? My husband's neurologist he see a psychiatrist.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Yep. He's ok, but not brilliant. At the moment he's telling me he'll change tablets etc but nothing has happened. Has a thing about OHs low heart rate. It seems to matter not that we both tell him that this is normal for OH., he doesn't seem to believe either of us!
Now where have I heard that before? Oh yes, practically every medic does it! OH had a vascular surgeon last year who asked me if I was sure he had dementia! However, on OHs last visit, he said, oh the gentleman who took out his drains ( also cannula, epidural ).

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
We've been lucky - Mils consultant/geriatric psychiatrist has been brilliant. Mils CPN (Community psychiatric nurse) keeps in regular touch, and if we have any major cocerns, particularly with Mils pretty bad delusions/sundowning, she will 'pop in' and see the consultant, and gets back to us extremely quickly. Because Mil gets so agitated at hospital visits, the consultant has even been out to visit her at home on several occasions. This has meant that things like medication changes are acheived quickly when they become necessary, and referrals if other symptoms develop (Like Mils shaking hands and deteriorating gait) are made by the conultant, which seems to also speed things up.

I do know that not everyone is so lucky, sadly, but I have nothing but praise for the service provided by Mils consultant x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yep. He's ok, but not brilliant. At the moment he's telling me he'll change tablets etc but nothing has happened. Has a thing about OHs low heart rate. It seems to matter not that we both tell him that this is normal for OH., he doesn't seem to believe either of us!
Now where have I heard that before? Oh yes, practically every medic does it! OH had a vascular surgeon last year who asked me if I was sure he had dementia! However, on OHs last visit, he said, oh the gentleman who took out his drains ( also cannula, epidural ).

Mum is on rivastigmine and her consultant is concerned because she has normally a slow heart rate too. He said that rivastigmine can slow the heart down and if its already slow it might be too much..... (his words)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Ann fortunately these days he sees consultant at local cottage hospital. It's the same place as he goes for daycare, so no problem.
The time before when we saw consultant he reduced donepezil cos of the slow heart rate, which, as I said, has always been thus. I am wondering if latest bout of 'awkwardness' has anything to do with that.
He told me tonight that he'd asked me to remind him to buy more tobacco ( he smokes a pipe). He hasn't bought anything for at least 3 years! I think he must have dropped tobacco in minibus or daycare. But, in common with everybody here, what do we know?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Canary, rivastigmine has never been suggested for OH. But yes, does it matter if heart slows further? Personally, I'd rather my heart stopped quickly. My own opinion, of course. BTW, my mother had a stroke and died suddenly ( at the postbox where she and her sis had gone to post a letter).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, I agree spamar, but medical people worry about things like that.
I think other drugs for AD have a similar effect too.