Genetically Inherited from mom sister has it too

Rahila

Apr 18, 2019
My OH is 50 and seems to show signs of Dementia. He has myoclonus head jerks and lip trembles every night. I thought it could mid life because he is only very nice to me when he hears the voice of a 30 year old girl next door. He would do strange things like look in the bathroom when he goes out and looks at the window when he dresses to work in the morning. I cannot understand this as no one is there but he keeps placing objects of what we did together close to our bathroom door. I am concerned as we have two teenagers ages 19 and 17 as we are fighting continuously. The thing with this girl started almost three years when he would throw his charm. Nothing happened between them but she is a bit of me when I was younger. I used to tell him a lot of stories because this girl travelled with me. Recently he keeps repeating any of the words which I mentioned or makes a random sentence as though he is fantasizing about this girl. I am definitely sure it is the start of early dementia as it is generic. Sometimes he gets aggressive and does the same things every night like always eating whist watching soccer or always getting excited if he sees certain colours.
Has anyone had this problem.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Rahila and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.