Genetic testing

Rubylou

Jan 20, 2015
Cambridgeshire
I would like to know people's thoughts on genetic testing. My OH diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's last year at age 59 we have two teen daughters. Has anyone else of similar ages gone ahead and had the test done? What/if any info did you give your children?
Many sides to this including daughters finding out later on if they too have the gene so can then 'choose' to not have their own children to stop it going on any further
Just would be good to know what other people think!
Thanks

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I would not have my children tested.
Getting early onset dementia does not, in my opinion, mean that your life up to that point has been worthless. Or even that it is worthless after getting the illness.

I would be optimistic about the possibility of a cure in years to come, or at least some better treatment than there is now.

I can't say whether I would tell them that it is genetic, I rather think not, as there is always the chance that they haven't got that gene and won't get it and all the worry will be unnecessary. But you know your own children best. And I am not in your situation, though we have dementia through the last four generations of my mothers family.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
I've heard that some genetics diseases can be avoided by selecting genes.

If this could be done I would certainly test my genes before getting pregnant.

rea123

Mar 30, 2015
im no expert on this at all, but we were faced with the same dilema three weeks ago... my other half was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia and its was pointed out that our children could be geneticaly tested... all 3 of them have been offered the test all 3 of them have declined... personaly im pleased that they have ...they are all under the agreement that everyone dies... but before they do they want to live without knowing how they are going to...2 of them have children of their own and dnt want them tested either..i do feel that in life we are dealt a pack of cards.. and its not what hand we are dealt its how we play the game that counts... it would be interesting tho to hear from anyone who has been tested any the reasons they chose to be ..x

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
My family has a genetic disease. I was tested. My sister has. Her children aren't tested.

Editing:

Luckily this disease sometimes skip some generations. My grandfather had, some aunts/uncles had it. It didn't show symptoms on my parents. My sister has it.

the pain of having a child with a probability of genetically disease is big. As my sister children are not tested but they know that they must not 'do' babies untested.

Last edited:

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
My family has a genetic disease. I was tested. My sister has. Her children aren't tested.

Editing:

Luckily this disease sometimes skip some generations. My grandfather had, some aunts/uncles had it. It didn't show symptoms on my parents. My sister has it.

the pain of having a child with a probability of genetically disease is big. As my sister children are not tested but they know that they must not 'do' babies untested.

We were told by the pyschologist dementia is not genetic and there's not enough research yet to prove that but I'm hearing otherwise from the forum and reading articles.

Is there research to prove early onset is genetic?

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Whether or not it is genetic, more research is ongoing now, and the future could be a lot brighter, so why worry about what might not happen?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Wise words Raggedy Anne. It might not happen.

And I reject the assumption that a cure for dementia will not be found for many years, if at all.

kingybell

Feb 3, 2015
Wise words Raggedy Anne. It might not happen.

And I reject the assumption that a cure for dementia will not be found for many years, if at all.

I think you are both right however I'm more angry that we were given false information when there is some evidence to suggest some forms can be genetic.
It makes me not trust the medical professionals dealing with my mum in law.