Genetic Testing ?

vmmh

Jun 25, 2018
I did a little research lately on early onset dementia with overlap to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and came across the topic of genetic testing. I never considered this for my OH before since there didn't seem to be any family history of dementia in his tree. But, the article brought up the issue of children and grandchildren. So my question is, has any one considered or gone through genetic testing related to dementia? Is this something I should check into? Maybe through 23and Me? My OH has two children and each of them has 4 children so there are at least 10 people that may or may not benefit from this type of testing. The article mentioned PSEN1 and PSEN2 markers.

mab

Mar 6, 2010
Surrey
This is such a sensitive issue @vmmh .
My OH has FTD which, with his family history, is most probably hereditary. Genetic testing was offered, by his consultant, to my two children, parents themselves. Both of them refused on the basis they didn't want to live their lives terrified of a disease for which there is no cure or treatment.
(Incidentally, testing would have to be initiated by OH, then followed up by the children.)
If you feel OH's children would be receptive to this then let them speak, initially, to their GPs. I certainly would not insist that my children should burden themselves with this devastating knowledge when they have the rest of their lives ahead of them and there is nothing they can do to alter the situation. They have to live with it so it must be their decision alone.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
I did a little research lately on early onset dementia with overlap to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's and came across the topic of genetic testing. I never considered this for my OH before since there didn't seem to be any family history of dementia in his tree. But, the article brought up the issue of children and grandchildren. So my question is, has any one considered or gone through genetic testing related to dementia? Is this something I should check into? Maybe through 23and Me? My OH has two children and each of them has 4 children so there are at least 10 people that may or may not benefit from this type of testing. The article mentioned PSEN1 and PSEN2 markers.
I’d be reluctant to use commercial DNA testing, if you decided to get testing it is available at university departments.
Commercial tests :- Are the results secure or would they be sold on and are they accurate. There are articles about identical triplets, DNA was done by university, triplets were identical, then by commercial company, they came out as siblings, with different ancestral components.