?genetic link

cathy z

May 23, 2006
gloucestershire
dear all, I read an article that seems to suggest there could be some genetic link!! does anyone know if there's any research about this? Is any testing available for this? although i don't think i'd want to knowif I had it! many thanks cathy z

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi cathy

im not sure i have the answer but if you go to the factsheets link (top left hand corner grey area) they might have some info there for you

Anne54

Sep 16, 2004
Nottingham
I'm not medical but when my husband was first diagnosed he went for genetic tests, as i understand it AD is unlikely to be genetic but the younger the person the more likely it is. His tests were all negative so if his is genetic then it is one they haven't found yet. He was 51 when diagnosed after 3 years of tests.

Anne

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Cathy, good question.... only this week a colleague said 'and of course, you worry about it for yourself too....' Well, actually I personally don't (not actually genetically connected to mum).....

My forays into genetics (lack of biological history on my part) have reassured me that generally genes will contribute to 'predispositions'..... but no guarantee that our predecessors will determine our own fate (as in fatality) .... even if they gifted us our eye colour, whatever ......

I see stories of young women having masectomies because of a history of breast cancer in their maternal family...... what lengths to avoid what might never even happen? What if they put themselves through that only to be killed tragically in some 'accidental way'?

Sometimes, settling for the 'not knowing' is maybe better (sure, 5-a-day, exercise and no smoking etc etc is going to help ANYONE whatever they may be predisposed to)... at least it alleviates a bit of the anxiety and associated high-blood pressure which is more likely to contribute to an early demise..... (she says as she sets off to find pack of cigarettes!).....:eek:

It seems in the UK we cannot even find money to fund treatments or care for current sufferers......, let alone research into the 'how and why'..... which might prevent money having to be found to treat potential future sufferers, .... Sorry, soapbox just peeked out there for a moment..... putting it back in its box for now.....

Love, Karen (TF)

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Cathy

I think that Karen is probably right that genetics can lead to a "predisposition". Marys mother had Alzheimers when she died at the age of 61. Mary's decent into AD started when our son was found to be an alcoholic and he rejected us because we took a stong stance on the issue. Mary's consultant was convinced that Mary's early onset of AD was caused by emotional tauma so whilst there was a predisposition the onset was determined by factors other than genetics.

It is ironic that my mother was an alcoholic and nobody has suggested that my son's "predisposition" is genetic, in fact he is the only decendant of my mother who has suffered from alcoholism.

Dick

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Whaddya mean, 'probably right'? :mad: My genetic predisposition is apparently to be arrogant, bombastic, self-confident, pedantic etc etc (There! Just proved it!). ;) :D

I have been told I 'let the side down' because I dare to show my weaknesses!
(What weaknesses?!):confused: :D

On a much more serious note, have you explored Mitrochondrial DNA?

Really interesting point between your mother's and subsequently your son's alcoholism (which I see as a disease to which we can be 'predisposed' but not necessarily succumb to)...... I'm fascinated by the theory that our characteristic lineage devolves from the female species.... but then, I'm arrogant etc etc!!!!

Hugs for now, Love, Karen (TF)

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It seems in the UK we cannot even find money to fund treatments or care for current sufferers......, let alone research into the 'how and why'..... which might prevent money having to be found to treat potential future sufferers, .... Sorry, soapbox just peeked out there for a moment..... putting it back in its box for now.....

Karen, don't you dare put that soap box back in it's box it always has something valid to say!:) I agree with what you said about research et al.:(
As to the genetics, my Mum's Mum had two sisters, all three of them had some form of memory loss to a greater or lesser extent, one sister I'm pretty sure had some form of dementia looking back now, one maybe had, and my grandmother had terrible memory problems but I don't think it was dementia. none of them were diagnosed with dementia, but this was back in the 60's so there wasn't the awareness(yes, I know it's not a lot but it is better than it was then:rolleyes: )there is now. So my Mum has dementia, which we believed showed first signs about ten years ago, but she has a sister who is 8 years younger who shows NO signs of either slowing down (she enjoys life:) )or dementia!
I'll go with the 'I don't think it's genetics'...................but just in case....... my kids have an EPA....NOW.................. and they know what to do with me.....................but I ain't gonna worry about it,life's too short!:D :D :D :D

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Karen

I have a predisposition to defer to and grovel before a "arrogant, bombastic, self-confident, pedantic etc etc " woman, of course you are right!

I am not sure that characteristic lineage devolves from the female line, my mother in addition to being an alcoholic was also a talented musician and very intelligent whereas I am tone deaf and the rest I will leave to your judgement.

Hugs

Dick

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
My mum was one of 8 children....4 boys and 4 girls. her eldest sister died in her thirties of cancer,the other 2 sisters developed dementia in their 70's...mum also showed signs of dementia when she was about 78....this became more noticeable after the death of three brothers in 2002....both her sisters died in 2000.....(her eldest brother disappeared before the war after a family argument) a lot for anyone to cope with to see your siblings wiped out in the space of 2 years.Mum was the youngest....none of the men were affected by dementia and lived well into their 90's....they all smoked and drank heavily....the women neither smoked or drank..

This is what i posted on another thread
wendy.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
DickG said:
I have a predisposition to defer to and grovel before a "arrogant, bombastic, self-confident, pedantic etc etc " woman, of course you are right!
Well, you'll have to find another one to grovel to.... (!) I know I can come across as all those things but I'm a terrrifed little soul inside (honest!)...:eek:

.... as far as genetics are concerned, 'fraid I will always personally support the 'nurture' argument in terms of characteristics .... my biological female ancestors were, I have learnt, strong, intelligent and 'successful' women - but define 'successful?! - but selfish and manipulative... whilst my paternal influences (the nurture of my adoptive dad and his own father) were of selfless, dedicated, open-minded, hard-working, salt-of the- Earth- folk.... know where I'd rather be.....!!!! I keep trying!!!

It's quite something sometimes to be able to 'blame' all my 'horribleness' on my genetic inheritance... of course, everything good about me I achieved for myself!!!!:p :cool: :D ;)

I continue to find this a fascinating thread, not least because of my own 'not knowing' what my DNA or mitro-wotsitsname may trigger ... and yet feel somehow perhaps more comfortable that I don't know.... and therefore have one less thing to worry about........why worry if it might never happen and all that?

Yet, if there was only research to stop anyone else here worrying about themselves or their own children.....

Karen, x

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
"Yet, if there was only research to stop anyone else here worrying about themselves or their own children....."

Hi Karen
I second that!
Not for me ,particularly,as I really don't worry about it.....I try and keep my brain active but as for other healthy things I'm a bit naughty!!!
My daughter worries more than me but I think that may be her age...she's 15(that sounds very patronising!....I don't mean it to be!!!)
But I'm sure there are many people out there who worry a lot about what's to come
Love
Wendy

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Wendy, isn't is supposed to be spots and boyfriends at 15? (Lack of or too many of????) Meaning of life comes later??????

Love, Karen,

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Oh Karen!
Spots...yes
Boyfriends...."I'm too young to have a serious relationship!!!!" She had one boyfriend but he wanted a bit more than Amy was prepared to give:)eek: )
Meaning of life.....If Amy can find anything to worry about then she will.....bird flu was particularly scary!!!
I thought I was a worrier but Amy takes the biscuit!!!!
Love
Wendy