General Wellbeing of Mother

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
Mum is 95 and has AD. She is in a residential care home. Mother can be extremely difficult at times but is also very frail. She spends most of her time in bed I gather. I live away and can only go by what I am told. What is concerning me is, they say she will not go into the hoist so is obviously not having a bath, will not allow anyone to shampoo her hair. Now surely before long she is going to start to hum. What can I do, has anyone got any magical answers please?

Mother has also started to fall a lot, is all of this following a pattern please? Sorry for all of these questions but I am just about to have a word with the Home's Manageress and I just need a bit of info before I do.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hi, tbh I don't suppose many 95 year olds have many baths...the old joints don't cope to well with the climbing in and out. :rolleyes:
Is Mum incontinent? The reason I ask is that her personal bits will be getting cleaned when her pad gets changed. My Mum, 87 blind and extremely frail, only has a bath once in a blue moon and I have no idea when her hair was last washed, however they do a full blanket wash every day and I don't think she honks!!!!:rolleyes:;):D

Pottingshed50

Apr 8, 2012
I did speak to the Manageress this afternoon and she confirmed that AD patients do go through a stage of not wanting to be touched. She said that Mum, as you say, has blanket baths and because she will not have her hair washed, they wash it with a dry shampoo. I felt better for hearing that. A good thing is no Mum is not (well not to my knowledge) incontinent, that is one area that has remained ok.

Thank you for your reply. It is very much appreciated. Sometimes you feel very alone in all of this, even if you have got family around you, others dont understand.