General Medical Council

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Again,

On Monday the General Medical Council launched its new guidelines into Patient's consultations with Doctors.
These new guide lines come into force in June, and after that all patients should be brought in on all consultations with doctors.
As I have been involved with this from early on, I am pleased to see what they are doing.
The guidelines can be found on the GMC website looking into consultation.
After this doctors will have to treat people with Dementia in a better way than they did before.

This went out live on Radio 4 on Monday morning, and although I had done a interview for radio, I did not know it was being released at this time, otherwise I could have said so before.

I look forward with interest and I am positive.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Ken,

this is great on two counts!

Firstly you have been helping get things sorted, which is most important on behalf of all of us.

Secondly, I would have missed hearing about this entirely had you not posted here, and this is critical stuff.

I'll beetle off to the GMC website and take a look.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Again,

All this was done using Actors from the National Theatre, who took the parts of:- a person with Dementia. A Carer and a GP.
Through out the acting people with Dementia and Carer's gave their views as to the way the GP or Hospital Consultant, was treating the Dementia patient and their carer, which was good.

But in the end I was told personally by the Chairman of the General Medical Council, that they were determined that GPs and Hospital Doctors have to get things right whether they like it or not. I really do believe him as he seemed quite genuine.
He also said that we had to keep in touch, as he was very impressed that things had gone so well.

Best Wishes
Ken

Best Wishes

Ken

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks ken , I went to that site It great to read something moving on in to the future in a more positive way then how it use to be in the past.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi again,

I think that we must remember that this whole thing is to be launched early next month, and then the GPs and Consultants have to read it and take it on board. Many will have read it already, so they will know what they are up against. But as it was said last week, there is no excuse for any GP or Consultant trying to treat a person with Dementia or a Carer like an idiot after this.
The rules have now changed for the best, and we will have to monitor everything that happens.
The GMC are now watching carefully to ensure that this works, and if it does not they will soon know about it.

Best Wishes
Ken

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Dear Ken, with my personal role shifting from hands on caring to now having some time to 'use what I have learnt', I found myself in this section and apologies I have only just read this thread.

I cannot applaud enough this brilliant document and wanted to raise its profile in case it can help others. I used many references from it to aid my complaint about my mother's recent hospital treatment and lack of consultation and 'informed consent' about procedures carried out - and whilst I still await a conclusive reply, it was sufficient for the GMC to raise questions themselves about mum's consultant.

Helpful as it was to be guided to sections of the Mental Capacity Act by various bodies I sought help from, as no legal-eagle I found the GMC Guidelines so clear and helpful ... the absolute respect demanded for patients (with or without dementia) in a sheer common-sense approach is a splendid example of championing people's rights. Very well done for your part in it.

I am very interested in how the monitoring will work?

Karen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain