General appointments for Dementia Patients

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
I need help to find a physio or another expert who can teach my husband a few simple motor skills.I am just settling in my role as a carer for my husband. He has come out of his confusion state. His short term memory doesn’t cause me as much of problem. We are in a much better place now.
My husband was having problems with walking, getting out of bed and getting in and out of bed following a fall in Oct 2020 that led to bleeding of the brain. The bleeding of the brain resulted in diagnosis of Alzheimers.
We had a great support from Alzheimers Wiltshire and continue to have their support.
I referred my husband to a private Physio. I must admit his walking has improved. He is better getting out of bed though a little improvement is still needed. He is still experiencing difficulties in experiencing in getting out of the car.
He had to relearn to move around. I had to demonstrate how he should be walking for example. I can’t find a way of teaching him to get out of the car. I believe a physio or someone who works with physical disabilities could do better. Why am I making a fuss? It is my perception that Dementia patients are not given the help needed with motor skills. All of us in this forum want our loved ones to have as good a life as is possible. I will have to accept inevitability. How can I find the help I need for my husband?
Shouldn’t there be a six monthly review on Alzheimers patients?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you paid a physio, would your husband be able to remember what he is taught/shown? That is very often the problem. Or are you wanting someone to show you ?

In my experience, a car that was higher off the ground is often advantagious. it might be slightly harder to get into, but much easier to get out of

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Would a car seat turn table help to get your husband out of the car? One of these would mean that he could swivel and then stand as if he's getting out of a chair.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Unfortunately teaching skills to anyone with memory loss is difficult or sometimes not possible as nothing new is remembered. Depending on how advanced his dementia is, it may be best to focus on the good practical ideas suggested by @My Mum's Daughter and @Bunpoots

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
If you paid a physio, would your husband be able to remember what he is taught/shown? That is very often the problem. Or are you wanting someone to show you ?

In my experience, a car that was higher off the ground is often advantagious. it might be slightly harder to get into, but much easier to get out of

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
My husband is definitely Better for a few days after the physio. He has improved his posture. It is very likely due to physio on his upper back.
He walks better after a physio. I can’t be sure if he can remember what to do.
There aren’t enough resources/investments to treat patients individually. Alzheimers/Dementia patients can’t be put in a box. I am not complaining. The practitioners do what they can within the knowledge and what is available. I do know my husband doesn’t take my guidance seriously . However, he will ask me to write down whatever a nurse, physio or doctor tell him to do. This is why I think Dementia community could benefit from admiral nurses all over Wiltshire and country. A person who is perceived as knowledgeable by the patient.
i was guided not to deal with my husband‘s confusion. However, I found different ways of telling him why he was confused and how to make sense. I had to draw a family tree for him to acknowledge I was his ‘Farzi’ and how I got into his life. The confusion was gone on this matter. There were other confusion we had to deal with. confusion is no longer a problem. life Is easier. Of course, this is not tried and tested in a scientific lab. Therefore, perhaps my husband confusion would have gone anyway! Who knows. One can only do the best at the time.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My husband is definitely Better for a few days after the physio. He has improved his posture. It is very likely due to physio on his upper back.
There aren’t enough resources/investments to treat patients individually. Alzheimers/Dementia patients can’t be put in a box. I am not complaining. The practitioners do what they can within the knowledge and what is available. I do know my husband doesn’t take my guidance seriously . However, he will ask me to write down whatever a nurse, physio or doctor tell him to do. This is why I think Dementia community could benefit from admiral nurses all over Wiltshire and country. A person who is perceived as knowledgeable by the patient.
i was guided not to deal with my husband‘s confusion. However, I found different ways of telling him why he was confused and how to make sense. I had to draw a family tree for him to acknowledge I was his ‘Farzi’ and how I got into his life. The confusion was gone on this matter. There were other confusion we had to deal with. confusion is no longer a problem. life Is easier. Of course, this is not trieda and tested in a scientific lab. Therefore, perhaps my husband confusion would have gone anyway! Who knows. One can only do the best at the time.
admiral nurses are for supporting the carer of the PWD and not the PWD themselves.

Farzi

Mar 30, 2021
i was guided not to deal with my husband‘s confusion. However, I found different ways of telling him why he was confused and how to make sense. I had to draw a family tree for him to acknowledge I was his ‘Farzi’ and how I got into his life. The confusion was gone on this matter. There were other confusion we had to deal with. confusion is no longer a problem. life Is easier. Of course, this is not tried and tested in a scientific lab. Therefore, perhaps my husband confusion would have gone anyway! Who knows. One can only do the best at the time.
Hi @Farzi

I found this useful when my dad struggled to get in and out of the car -

I hope it helps.
Very helpful, thank you