Gender confusion

TWHITE

Jan 27, 2015
Hi all
Mum has been diagnosed with moderate dementia, she is quite happy and settled now after moving in with us, she is very confused but in herself is quite content.
These days her confusion seems to be centered around gender? She says that men are women and women are men? This is a recurring theme, also asking me if I am homosexual? is this unusual?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband often calls me a good boy! I'm happy with that!:rolleyes:

He uses he instead of she and she instead of he. He also now refers to himself as 'he' instead of 'I'.

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
There's a lady in my mum's carehome who refers to my mum as a he all the time. They are good friends though.

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Quite often my husband is unable to recognise me when he wakes in the morning. Later in the day he will tell me about the "chap" who was with him that morning; he was very nice, quite tall, I'm 5'3"

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My husband still knows me in that he can still used name. It's just that he uses boy instead of girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Howard is often confusing gender; not usually a problem until he refers to 2 year old Grand-daughter as a little boy!!! Result; one very indignant little girl

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My now late mum had a *thing* about lesbians.

No idea why.
They used to arrive in a narrow boat and have parties...3 floors up in a hospital ward.

I'd take her out for a walk (well, a push in her wheelchair) and we'd meet people in the village, people she'd know for years and years- as we walked away she'd quite often ask me ''do you thing she is a lesbian''

Not idea where the preoccupation with sexuality came from.