1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. TWHITE

TWHITE Registered User

Jan 27, 2015
    Hi all
    Mum has been diagnosed with moderate dementia, she is quite happy and settled now after moving in with us, she is very confused but in herself is quite content.
    These days her confusion seems to be centered around gender? She says that men are women and women are men? This is a recurring theme, also asking me if I am homosexual? is this unusual?

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    My husband often calls me a good boy! I'm happy with that!:rolleyes:

He uses he instead of she and she instead of he. He also now refers to himself as 'he' instead of 'I'.

3. daisydi

daisydi Registered User

Feb 25, 2015
    Norfolk
    There's a lady in my mum's carehome who refers to my mum as a he all the time. They are good friends though.

4. pony-mad

pony-mad Registered User

May 23, 2014
    Mid-Wales
    Quite often my husband is unable to recognise me when he wakes in the morning. Later in the day he will tell me about the "chap" who was with him that morning; he was very nice, quite tall, I'm 5'3"

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    My husband still knows me in that he can still used name. It's just that he uses boy instead of girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

6. pony-mad

pony-mad Registered User

May 23, 2014
    Mid-Wales
    Howard is often confusing gender; not usually a problem until he refers to 2 year old Grand-daughter as a little boy!!! Result; one very indignant little girl

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

7. Jessbow

Jessbow Registered User

My now late mum had a *thing* about lesbians.

No idea why.
    They used to arrive in a narrow boat and have parties...3 floors up in a hospital ward.

I'd take her out for a walk (well, a push in her wheelchair) and we'd meet people in the village, people she'd know for years and years- as we walked away she'd quite often ask me ''do you thing she is a lesbian''

Not idea where the preoccupation with sexuality came from.