G'day

Action49

Jan 25, 2014
I am so glad I found this forum although I am now sitting here with tears in my eyes.

My husband and I relocated from Australia to live with my 90yr old parents (well, to be precise, we came for a holiday 2+yrs ago and the wheels fell off their wagon so I never went back and my DH cleared up and came back to join me - he is my rock, and from posts I see on here I realize how lucky I am!). Dad was caring for mum whose mobility is shot - she uses a roller walker for everything now. Her memory has been of concern for at least the 2 yrs since we've been here but her GP was as much use as a chocolate tea pot and said her memory was within normal limits (ha!) when I actually wrote a note for her to give to him. She wouldn't, until this year, let me in to see the GP with her but now I have muscled in and we finally got the diagnosis on NYE. Some days I wish I wasn't an only child!

I relate to so many points on here - the social lucidity masking the nasty spitefulness to both dad and me; the rants about people interfering in her life and bullying her; the lies about what her life "was" etc etc. my own personal bugbear is the constant self talk as attention seeking - she knows it irritates us all and she can control it as it is situation specific. She cannot see that it is a huge safety issue as we have to tune out or go bonkers ourselves so we can miss a dangerous situation as she never actually asks for help just talks and talks, gets irritated if we ask if she needs help and gets angry if we don't offer help! I'm ticked off with being labelled a bully for anything I do - usually prompting to take meds or reminding that a professional will be visiting and I basically withdraw and let her get on with it - then, of course, she hops into dad, arguing about the slightest little thing. He's 90 too, poor devil!

I can't get either of them to do a LPA - I've talked about it to dad who has all his marbles but he didn't understand the concept and misunderstood the psychiatrist's attempts at explaining (I agree, she was somewhat obtuse!) that mum needs to do this now.

One battle I feel we have fought and won was the battle of the mail scammers. Mum would receive "important mail" by the bucket load from companies telling her she had won thousands and all she had yo do was order another thing from them and stay home to be there when they arrived with her cheque! The lack of understanding about how she was being scammed was just another notch in the loss of reality. If only I could get the phone scammers to stop I'd be a happy bunny!

I look forward to reading more on the forum here!

Last edited by a moderator:

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Welcome, Action49. I'm sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis, but you have come to the right place for lots of friendly advice and support from the lovely members here on TP. I'm sure you will find it as helpful and informative as I do. I've made lots of friends who help me through bad times and share the good times.

Do keep posting, there is usually someone around even in the early hours.

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you registered the phone line with TPS, Telephone Preference Service?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hello action and welcome from me too.

Lots of help and advice here and everyone happy to listen when you want to get something of your chest. We have all been there when there is no one in the "real " world who we can off load onto. Empathy by the bucket full here but also lots of ideas to help someone through a difficult time.

Look forward to seeing you post.

Jay

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

Action49

Jan 25, 2014
Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you registered the phone line with TPS, Telephone Preference Service?

Oh yes! And reported organizations that call - even had a toe to toe with a conservatory salesman who invited himself over - gee that was fun, especially as I gave his company a second chance cos he said he would do something then the olds got a call from the same company next day - they did get reported and, from feedback, they did get an action applied! And the MPS too although that was slow. Fortunately mum hasn't twigged that she isn't getting her daily "important" mail from the intrusive ones - we keep the Hotters catalogue and Chums ones and that seems to keep her going.

My husband became politically active because of his disgust at the mail scammers here!

Last edited:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Hello and welcome to TP.

We had the same issue with conservatory people. They managed to get a large cheque off MIL but she told me and I managed to get her bank to cancel it.

Good on your husband for trying to get the con men stopped.

Do try to get your father to a solicitor as perhaps he may listen to them rather than his little girl ;)

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Contacting the TPS to stop unwanted telesales canvassing calls only works if the call originates from the UK; what I believe some firms do is to have these calls made from call centres abroad where of course they can not be stopped (we've tried :( ).

In the first instance we tried installing an answerphone which we have on 24/7; telesales canvassers don't like leaving messages on answerphones so this puts a stop to most of them.

In the end, though, we had to change our landline number to a completely new one with all the accompanying hassle of notifying people who needed to have our number for emergencies. Now, we're almost paranoid about only giving our landline number out to immediate family members for incoming calls. Outgoing calls are made on mobiles, and we still have the answerphone on 24/7 to make 150% sure.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Contacting the TPS to stop unwanted telesales canvassing calls only works if the call originates from the UK..."

Note that calls 'made for the purpose of research' are exempt.
A 'survey' is OK but canvassing for trade is not!!