Gaviscon addiction

Bassman.

Aug 31, 2015
My Mother has had a hiatus hernia for as long as I can remember and when Dad was alive she used Gaviscon and Rennies however since his passing I have become totally alarmed at the amount she is going through.
Her GP has told me her normal prescription medication includes a tablet for her stomach, however he became alarmed when we told him about the Gaviscon situation.
"Oh I only have a little drink before bedtime" she insists however a large bottle at around £9 is only lasting a week if that.
The GP has warned that she could become totally incontinent if she persists as the Gaviscon is fighting the drug he has prescribed for her.
She gets really aggressive and lashes out when we refuse to buy a new bottle and has even asked neighbours to assist.
Can anyone suggest anything we can do ?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I don't know whether this suggestion will help...Dad used to have Gaviscon in tablet form. If your mum is unable to shop for the Gaviscon herself...the sachets are a good idea or if she can take the chewable tablets you can limit how many she has in the box at any one time. Depending on her level of understanding you could say they are now only available in tablets/sachets. I know they became a habit for dad so I reduced his access to them and he gradually forgot

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Couldn't you just fill up an empty bottle with a Gaviscon like liquid (no idea what it looks like so I can't suggest anything). I used to give my wife those little mints Tic-Tacs when she went through an obsession for taking paracetamol.
K

SnowWhite

Nov 18, 2016
Can I just remind people that indigestion pains can often be very similar to heart attack pains.

My Friends Mum was drinking loads of it for months as she thought she had heartburn. She died of a heart attack and my friend found gallons of it in her house. An old school friend of mine was the same, drinking bottles of it to ease the pain. One night his pain was more severe than normal and his wife dialled 999. They told him at the hospital that he had had a heart attack and that drinking large amounts of gaviscon should always be investigated and I believe it says that on the bottle.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Can I just remind people that indigestion pains can often be very similar to heart attack pains.

My Friends Mum was drinking loads of it for months as she thought she had heartburn. She died of a heart attack and my friend found gallons of it in her house. An old school friend of mine was the same, drinking bottles of it to ease the pain. One night his pain was more severe than normal and his wife dialled 999. They told him at the hospital that he had had a heart attack and that drinking large amounts of gaviscon should always be investigated and I believe it says that on the bottle.

A friend of mine had what she thought was indigestion and went for a lie down and sadly died...sudden heart attack ...her husband just heard a thump and she had gone. The coroner said that apparently often in women particularly the heart attack pain masks as indigestion.

However for the purpose of this thread I assumed as the advice came from the GP the problem has been identified medically as related to the hernia or indigestion and not heart related.

Bassman.

Aug 31, 2015
Couldn't you just fill up an empty bottle with a Gaviscon like liquid (no idea what it looks like so I can't suggest anything). I used to give my wife those little mints Tic-Tacs when she went through an obsession for taking paracetamol.
K
It is a pink coloured substance and it is a bit thicker than water.We have thought about one of these probiotic health drinks or strawberry milk shake but she insists on keeping it on her dressing table rather than in the fridge and I am concerned if it goes off and upsets her stomach even more.

Bassman.

Aug 31, 2015
I believe Gaviscon comes in single dose sachets, that could reduce the availability.
Thank you for the suggestion however I bought sachets and she didn't recognise them as Gaviscon and just refused to use the sachets.

Bassman.

Aug 31, 2015
I don't know whether this suggestion will help...Dad used to have Gaviscon in tablet form. If your mum is unable to shop for the Gaviscon herself...the sachets are a good idea or if she can take the chewable tablets you can limit how many she has in the box at any one time. Depending on her level of understanding you could say they are now only available in tablets/sachets. I know they became a habit for dad so I reduced his access to them and he gradually forgot
Like the other poster who suggested sachets I thank you for your reply and suggestion for tablet form Gaviscon.Like the sachets she just refused to take them in tablet form.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Like the other poster who suggested sachets I thank you for your reply and suggestion for tablet form Gaviscon.Like the sachets she just refused to take them in tablet form.
Unfortunately can't think of anything other than suggestions already given, it may be as your mum declines the Gaviscon is forgotten or becomes less of a habit or forgotten. So other than telling her the GP said she can't have it and accepting the backlash...

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Just a thought - is she taking the Gaviscon because she has an addiction or because she is experiencing genuine discomfort or pain?

Apart from heart attacks, there are other things that could be causing her some distress and there are lots of possibilities.

Hopefully, your doctor will have checked this out. My OH takes a tablet for his stomach but it is to protect it as he takes lots of medications and is not specifically for indigestion.

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
Unfortunately can't think of anything other than suggestions already given, it may be as your mum declines the Gaviscon is forgotten or becomes less of a habit or forgotten. So other than telling her the GP said she can't have it and accepting the backlash...

Onmyown

May 30, 2017
Gulp! My mum is starting to glug alot of this. I will now be more aware. She dosnt have a hernia but eats alot of bread and wheat is instant heartburn. So glad I saw this. I will hide it. Mum slugs it willy nilly.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
@Bassman.

How much do you think you could water it down without her noticing? If you can get the old bottle and split it with a new one then top up with water she'll only be taking hslf as much.

Maybe you could even top up quarter bottle of gaviscon and tell her it's new and improved...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar