Gas hob immobilizer??

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
Sorry as I am sure this has been discussed at lengthbefore but MIL is a boiled milk fiend; for her all bran every morning she has a lake of hot milk (yuk!):p and she has milky coffee no hot water for 11s. She bends over the stove to 'see 'if it is boiling (macular degeneration plus poor hearing won't wear aids) and has been know to 'dry' our tea towels on the hob too, so far with no lit gas

She has left the hob on intermittantly but now its daily, onetime 5 and a half hours this week as she was off at daycare and OH hadn't seen what she did before he left for work. We have an electric oven which she cannot work hidden knobs if you know what I mean!:D

But hob is gas - so is there a gizmo which allow us to turn gas supply on /off for hob but so we can use it when home? Seen a link to a gas valve thingy but it looks to me like the supply to a stand alone gas cooker with the big lead???

MiL is awaiting an extra care place with no gas hurrah! but fear she and the house will be set alight before then:(:(

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Tatty, there is such a device, and I will see if I can find the links for you, if nitram doesn't beat me to it.

You are right that this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, so I am sure you are very concerned!

Let me see if I can get the links for you; hold on, please.

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
Thanks Amy, will have a good read. In the short term going to hide the all bran cereal and persuade MIL to try brown toast and fruit, making a malt loaf tonight so that will keep her happy for a few days.

No point in mentioning it to MIL as as my children say 'is grandma pleading shaggy" a reference to Shaggy the singer and his the dubious rap song..'It wasn't me!';)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It's a pity the gas isolation valve only costs £3.79 inc. VAT (from Screwfix . other DIY shops are available). How much a gas safe plumber will want to fit it is a different matter. Usually the hob knobs just pull off making it impossible to turns on so you could maybe just remove them.
Other option is child proof covers that go over the knob and may be fiddly enough not for her to remove.
K

http://www.screwfix.com/p/gas-isolating-valve-15mm/46199

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KidKusion-Clearly-Stove-Knobs-Locks/dp/B004NZ7MPY

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

tatty

Oct 14, 2015
Thanks for the repiles, may end up giving them all ago!! Have just tried to remove knobs for a quick short term fix, it worked very easily, main concern will be my OH breaking them when he has to put it back on , from the school of if it won't go on wack it !;)

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It really is a problem that won't go away.
What if one day the gas doesn't ignite on lighting?

Been there with my Mam.
No easy answer other than a straight one...disconnect the hob.

Rotten advice, isn't it? Soss.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
What if one day the gas doesn't ignite on lighting?

All modern gas hobs have a flame failure device, so without a flame the gas cuts off automatically, if you have a hob without a FFD then a new hob with one can be bought on the High Street for about £100 and upwards. If you're going to get an isolator valve fitted then if might be a good time to replace the hob too with one with an FFD, just in case.
K

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
It's a pity the gas isolation valve only costs £3.79 inc. VAT (from Screwfix . other DIY shops are available)

That valve is not lockable, the lockable type I linked is approx ten times more

http://www.allvalves.co.uk/valve-actuator/1-2-fb-np-brass-ball-valve-gas-locking-t-grip-box-1-

Admittedly the valve could be hidden but the lockable type is far safer and the cost increase won't seem as bad when the fitter's charge is added on.

Total cost to fit lockable gas valve at my mum's house was about £100. Well worth it for the peace of mind and easy to unlock when someone else was there. The consequences of a gas explosion are just too scary to contemplate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peanutbrain