Gas Cooker Being left on

Kerri123

Feb 24, 2015
W Sussex
Hi everyone

This is my first post on Talking point.

I have 2 aunties, both of whom have dementia. One is a lot better than the other. Her name is Miriam & although we have concerns for her, she is doing ok.

My other auntie, Doris is the family's big worry. She lives in London on her own, whereas the family live in Sussex. Her dementia is a lot worse, and seems to be deteriorating quite quickly. One of the things she keeps doing is leaving the gas ring on after she has made herself a drink.

We do have carers going in 3 times everyday who sort out meals for her etc., but she still goes into the kitchen to sort out drinks. She has always used a kettle on a stove to boil water, and has never used an electric kettle. Mum bought her one with the thought that she could be taught how to use it, but it's hopeless really, poor auntie Doris just can't take it in.

The family is in a quandry - do we get rid of the gas hob & hope that without an alternative auntie Doris will learn how to use the electric kettle, or do we allow her to keep the gas hob (& oven which she never uses) with all the risks involved?

Is there an althernative that perhaps we are not aware of? I guess I'm hoping that ther is something out there specifically for dementia patients that will mean she will still be able to prepare herself drinks safely. the last thing any of us want is for her to be hurt in any way.

Thanks

Kerri

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Kerrie

Would she be OK pouring water from a flask which the carers could refill each visit?

Hope you find a solution.
:)
Best wishes
Sue

Should have said welcome to TP!

Kerri123

Feb 24, 2015
W Sussex
Hi Kerrie

Would she be OK pouring water from a flask which the carers could refill each visit?

Hope you find a solution.
:)
Best wishes
Sue

Should have said welcome to TP!

Hi Sue

Thanks - I don't know, but it's worth a try isn't it. We'll give it a go & see what happens

Kerri:)

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Hi everyone

This is my first post on Talking point.

I have 2 aunties, both of whom have dementia. One is a lot better than the other. Her name is Miriam & although we have concerns for her, she is doing ok.

My other auntie, Doris is the family's big worry. She lives in London on her own, whereas the family live in Sussex. Her dementia is a lot worse, and seems to be deteriorating quite quickly. One of the things she keeps doing is leaving the gas ring on after she has made herself a drink.

We do have carers going in 3 times everyday who sort out meals for her etc., but she still goes into the kitchen to sort out drinks. She has always used a kettle on a stove to boil water, and has never used an electric kettle. Mum bought her one with the thought that she could be taught how to use it, but it's hopeless really, poor auntie Doris just can't take it in.

The family is in a quandry - do we get rid of the gas hob & hope that without an alternative auntie Doris will learn how to use the electric kettle, or do we allow her to keep the gas hob (& oven which she never uses) with all the risks involved?

Is there an althernative that perhaps we are not aware of? I guess I'm hoping that ther is something out there specifically for dementia patients that will mean she will still be able to prepare herself drinks safely. the last thing any of us want is for her to be hurt in any way.

Thanks

Kerri
Hi Kerrie Welcome to talking point the flask sounds like a good idea from Sue and you can get them that are like jugs so would be more like a kettle to your Aunt we had to take all the knobs from mums gas hob as she kept leaving it on at the moment mum still knows how to use the electric kettle hope it works for you take care Annie x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you sort out a suitable flask you could get a Gas Safe engineer to fit a lockable c0ck so that the gas can normally be left off but carers would be able to turn it on to cook if needed.
images

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Some gas hobs, and ovens have a Flame Failure Device, which if the flame goes out (or isn't lit) shuts the gas off automatically.
If you have to hold the gas on for a short will after lighting, then you may have this fitted. There will be a small pillar that is heated by the flame.

Not all have it fitted, and it can't be fitted later, so locking off the gas may be the only way.

But it is a very large step towards care.

Bod

opaline

Nov 13, 2014
My friend got her mum a machine from Argos, haven't actually seen it but I think it's along the lines of a Teasmade or coffee machine as I leave a flask for my mum but she prefers her mum to have it fresh, this may help? x