Garden.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I saw dad yesterday. He appears fine and he is well stocked and the carers are back. His masks have arrived so can be used. I am at home today digging the garden into an allotment. I took a picture of my plum tree just to cheer myself up..It’s funny how nature just carry’s on.. Amazing! I hope I get some plums. 89D63E26-44C6-4CFF-964D-04FE2CFEF19C.jpeg

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
We are hoping for plums too! Have had a little tree for about 5 years, not a single one. Got a second one (to grow in a pot) last autumn. Both have lots of blossom bit no sign of plums as yet.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
We are hoping for plums too! Have had a little tree for about 5 years, not a single one. Got a second one (to grow in a pot) last autumn. Both have lots of blossom bit no sign of plums as yet.
This one is in a pot too. I think the plums should be do around June /July. I haven’t checked. It’s my first time for plums?

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
My plum tree is normally loaded and was from the first year. I have a great chutney recipe for left overs

Attachments

• 47C18217-B079-4F52-A924-EB24F9B78604.jpeg
    47C18217-B079-4F52-A924-EB24F9B78604.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 302

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My plum tree is normally loaded and was from the first year. I have a great chutney recipe for left overs
I’m looking forward to doing some jams. I have never done a chutney. I think it is going to be a bit like “The Good Life down here. But without the pigs and chickens ?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Our plum tree is just coming out in to flower - I do find it is quite water sensitive - ie it needs more than you expect as it flowers and the fruit sets.

Ours tend to ripen whilst we are on holiday most years so we don't actually eat many of them. Maybe not this year.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Our plum tree is just coming out in to flower - I do find it is quite water sensitive - ie it needs more than you expect as it flowers and the fruit sets.

Ours tend to ripen whilst we are on holiday most years so we don't actually eat many of them. Maybe not this year.
Mine is in a pot. It is going to be interesting at the very least.Looks like we are going to have quite a few plums between all of us?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
We have let out son dig up some of the back lawn (he wanted to do it last year) so we might be having lots of potatoes carrots radishes beetroot courgette and cucumber with tomatoes and peppers in the office (by south facing patio windows) on the other hand if his interest wanes we might just have bare patch on the lawn

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
How I'm looking forward to my three apple trees bearing fruit. Not just because the apples taste so much better than any you get in a supermarket, but because they won't be ready to eat for a few months. So my fond hope is that by that time we'll be having a glorious summer and this awful, horrible time will have passed.

My pear tree is about 50 years old and died a few years ago. It's now started to lean (we were trying to get a tree surgeon in but don't know what's going to happen with that now), and our live-in squirrels have now created a burrow for themselves under the roots - lots of dug out soil and bark scattered around. Over the years I've found they love that tree - it's the only one they consistently strip bark from for their own use. I absolutely love to see them bounding around the garden, having the time of their lives without a care that we humans are living with covid-19.

The school playing field alongside us is now a building site; with dense housing being thrown up. The development seems to have stopped for now, so perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get our resident foxes and hedgehogs back. All of our resident wildlife, including the many types of birds, seem to have happily co-existed for the time we've lived in this property, and my hope is that even if this situation is so awful for all of us wildlife will benefit; at least for a time.

My mum used to love sitting in my garden - she found it such a peaceful place when her mind was driving her mad (although she and I didn't know that at the time). For the last five years I've not made use of my garden because of that (too many painful memories), and she died last year. This year I am looking at my garden as a beacon of hope in a scary world.

Thoughts with all of you who are needing to deal with the current situation when you were already living in a desparately difficult world xx

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
We have let out son dig up some of the back lawn (he wanted to do it last year) so we might be having lots of potatoes carrots radishes beetroot courgette and cucumber with tomatoes and peppers in the office (by south facing patio windows) on the other hand if his interest wanes we might just have bare patch on the lawn
I have been just doing the same. Planted spring onions in the greenhouse along with a few others. Manures the veg patch..In this bad time it is nice to have something that is giving pleasure.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
How I'm looking forward to my three apple trees bearing fruit. Not just because the apples taste so much better than any you get in a supermarket, but because they won't be ready to eat for a few months. So my fond hope is that by that time we'll be having a glorious summer and this awful, horrible time will have passed.

My pear tree is about 50 years old and died a few years ago. It's now started to lean (we were trying to get a tree surgeon in but don't know what's going to happen with that now), and our live-in squirrels have now created a burrow for themselves under the roots - lots of dug out soil and bark scattered around. Over the years I've found they love that tree - it's the only one they consistently strip bark from for their own use. I absolutely love to see them bounding around the garden, having the time of their lives without a care that we humans are living with covid-19.

The school playing field alongside us is now a building site; with dense housing being thrown up. The development seems to have stopped for now, so perhaps we'll be lucky enough to get our resident foxes and hedgehogs back. All of our resident wildlife, including the many types of birds, seem to have happily co-existed for the time we've lived in this property, and my hope is that even if this situation is so awful for all of us wildlife will benefit; at least for a time.

My mum used to love sitting in my garden - she found it such a peaceful place when her mind was driving her mad (although she and I didn't know that at the time). For the last five years I've not made use of my garden because of that (too many painful memories), and she died last year. This year I am looking at my garden as a beacon of hope in a scary world.

Thoughts with all of you who are needing to deal with the current situation when you were already living in a desparately difficult world xx
I can imagine. I have not had hedgehogs for a few years now.But plenty of other wildlife.Amazing when you hear the bird’s chatter it makes you realise how precious life is.. We all know this because we are on this site.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I love hearing the birds' dawn chorus. I can't identify most of them, but I can distinguish some calling, and responding, to each other. I've learned how they call out and reply. I know the pigeons and ring-collared doves who live in our garden. TNJJ - glad to hear you have your wildlife. Yes, I love to hear the birds 'chattering'.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I love hearing the birds' dawn chorus. I can't identify most of them, but I can distinguish some calling, and responding, to each other. I've learned how they call out and reply. I know the pigeons and ring-collared doves who live in our garden. TNJJ - glad to hear you have your wildlife. Yes, I love to hear the birds 'chattering'.
It is lovely. It makes me glad to be alive. Sometimes when caring for a PWD you forget because you get so caught up.I heard them all today chattering over the peanuts ?. It was such a beautiful beginning to the day. Then there was sunshine .Heaven?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have been out in the garden today. I have moved and replanted some lettuce,carrots (bet I will get carrot fly now even though I have covered them).Planted an acer in a box for now as I need to get some more pots. My potatoes are coming on .I have also dug out another border although I haven’t finished it properly.Put some new plants in?

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I chucked my potatoes and compost into the compost yesterday (I know!) They’d rotted through overwatering in a container with no drainage. They were free from B&Q when lockdown started and I had nowhere to put them so they ended up in that. Inevitable really.

My garden has been doing ok but the seeds I’ve planted haven’t thrived. We grafted an apple tree with new varieties and they took which is amazing, beetroot and carrots are slowly appearing after 2nd sowing. Radishes I can grow for England... my everlasting lettuce has been slow. Strawberries looking great. Sunflowers just getting going. Seed wise I’ve got some foxgloves which have popped up looking like watercress and I don’t know what to do now! If I break them up I think they will die. If I leave them in the pot they will probably die from overcrowding. I have a couple of artichokes growing from seed. which is very exciting.

@TNJJ I was told to not handle carrots in the daytime to avoid carrot fly. What happens when they strike?

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I
I chucked my potatoes and compost into the compost yesterday (I know!) They’d rotted through overwatering in a container with no drainage. They were free from B&Q when lockdown started and I had nowhere to put them so they ended up in that. Inevitable really.

My garden has been doing ok but the seeds I’ve planted haven’t thrived. We grafted an apple tree with new varieties and they took which is amazing, beetroot and carrots are slowly appearing after 2nd sowing. Radishes I can grow for England... my everlasting lettuce has been slow. Strawberries looking great. Sunflowers just getting going. Seed wise I’ve got some foxgloves which have popped up looking like watercress and I don’t know what to do now! If I break them up I think they will die. If I leave them in the pot they will probably die from overcrowding. I have a couple of artichokes growing from seed. which is very exciting.

@TNJJ I was told to not handle carrots in the daytime to avoid carrot fly. What happens when they strike?
You could try thinning out the foxglove, taking out at least half and leave them to get on growing for another week or so to strengthen up before planting out.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall

I know But I tended to oversow.Apparently carrot fly only fly up to 2metres I believe.So I have raised them high and covered them with a netting which hopefully will stop them..(My uncle told me this.He has always grown stuff?

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
You could try thinning out the foxglove, taking out at least half and leave them to get on growing for another week or so to strengthen up before planting out.
Do you thin with a cocktail stick or something? Genuine question as I can’t imagine how

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
If it were me, I would just pull out the weakest ones with your fingers. Water them first, be gentle and they should come out quite easily. If you know how many you want, then you could thin out to that number plus a couple extra to allow for a loss or two. You could also give them a diluted liquid fertilizer to help them along a bit.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
A lovely day here in Sunny Cornwall. I haven’t done much in the garden today but I was 4hours in there yesterday. Finished 2 borders now and planted some plants. Some I will have to move as not happy there but need the strength to dig another one. Only half mowed the lawn as ran out of energy.

Attachments

• A9FF77B5-98CD-47EB-BF10-C66E861FA47C.jpeg
    A9FF77B5-98CD-47EB-BF10-C66E861FA47C.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 298
  • A4677275-BD62-4C9A-A3D2-69C1263DADA0.jpeg
    A4677275-BD62-4C9A-A3D2-69C1263DADA0.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 295
  • 072D85B6-22EC-47CE-B216-65712C4650DE.jpeg
    072D85B6-22EC-47CE-B216-65712C4650DE.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 323
  • 9021351F-6C4F-4514-8D80-1020B8C1D72E.jpeg
    9021351F-6C4F-4514-8D80-1020B8C1D72E.jpeg