Garden care.

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
We have a large garden which,on warm days,my husband likes to sit out in.Normally I take care of the garden,weeding and so on,but as my husbands dementia progresses,the garden has had to take back seat and I'm afraid it has become slightly overgrown,and could do with someone to whip it back into shape and hopefully I will be able to keep it that way.This is a big ask,but is there any organisation or something that does such gardening for people in my situation?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Kapow

AgeUK may be able to help. I have added a link below. Their services have been reduced over the past year or so but I should think they will be back up and running before long. Worth asking them about the gardening:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was going to suggest Age UK too - they certainly do this in my area. I have got someone coming to assess my garden on Friday. You will have to pay for it, but it is cheaper than a gardener from elsewhere and the people who come are vetted first and should understand about dementia.

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
I was going to suggest Age UK too - they certainly do this in my area. I have got someone coming to assess my garden on Friday. You will have to pay for it, but it is cheaper than a gardener from elsewhere and the people who come are vetted first and should understand about dementia.
Yes....Last time I had the garden strimmed,just to keep it tidy,it cost me £140...well,to be honest,how do I keep paying this? So I bought a strimmer...if the gardener can strim it for me,hopefully it will be the last time...

Kapow

Nov 17, 2019
Just followed the links...say there is no support in my area postcode...

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
have you got a sensible teenager that wouldnt mind a bit of pin money? we cant do ours but do have grandsons that will do ours and does a good job

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is no AgeUK help in my area either to garden.

I used to have a husband and wife team to do my garden every two weeks. Now they have retired.

I`ve found someone to mow the lawns but he doesn`t do weeding.

I`ve found someone else to do the weeding.

It`s a big worry when you have a garden and are no longer able to maintain it.

Sometimes the small adds in local papers might be helpful. We do need to be careful who we give access to but I would hope the local papers would have details of anyone offering this type of help.