Gap in the market

Blue_Gremlin

Mar 15, 2006
Morecambe, UK
Hi Guys

I came across a gap in the retail market this weekend - a gas fire that has a glass front and a top slide control - doesn't exist apparently.

Jean needs a new fire cos she can't turn the dial on the one she has hard enough to light the pilot. So we decided on a nice new one with a slide control on the front at the top - easy - up is on down is off etc. However it is open at the front so the flames are accessable - not a great idea with a dementia sufferer! God knows what damage she might do to herself with that! (warming cushions, feet etc in front of it.)

So after a LONG time talking to people in fire showrooms we came to the conclusion that there isn't a gas fire in existance that would be suitable so have had to go for an electric one. Not ideal as it costs more to run but with a balance of that and the radiators it might just be enough to make her feel warm as she will be able to see the fake flames. I am sure a lot of her feeling cold is psychological as when she came to us at christmas she refused to remove her coat because 'you have no fire'. the fact that it was about 900 degrees with the heating on seemed to make no difference what-so-ever. So I am banking on her feeling cold more as being a psychological thing than actually being cold.

Why does nobody make a top control enclosed gas fire?? Makes no sense to me at all.

Blue_Gremlin

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
yeah, I don't know who designs these things! Dad's gas fire was one of real flame effect ones, with a grille below the fire at hearth level which covered the controls. Lighting it was dead easy :eek: 1) kneel down in the hearth and grovel on hands and knees to see controls 2) turn button B to position A, whilst pushing it in 3) AT THE SAME TIME push button C repeatedly (remembering not to let go of button B 4) put your head down on the hearth to see through the little gap to check the pilot light has come on 5) keep button B pressed in whilst slowly turning round to position D 6) continue to hold button B pressed in for another 30 seconds 7) gradually release button B 8) turn button B to position E, F or G depending on how hot you want it to be ...... whilst trying to make sure you don't singe your eyebrows 9) close the metal grille infront of the controls 10) struggle stand back up again.

turning it off was a little less complicated - except the metal grille infront of the controls invariably got extremely hot and had to be opened with the aid of a cloth or a stick.

No wonder dad would phone me or the neighbour every day to say that he couldn't get the fire on or off. I don't know how true this is, but dad did tell me shortly before he went into care that he'd been very disappointed with the fire brigade because he'd called them about switching the fire off, and they hadn't been able to help. "I thought putting fires out was what they were there for", grumbled dad.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Aine
I have to do all the procedure that you describe,How do the very disabled cope.?

Blue Gremlin
I read somewhere that ther is now a gas fire with a remote control!!
Sorry I do not remember where I read it.
Norman

Blue_Gremlin

Mar 15, 2006
Morecambe, UK
Hi Norman

There are fires with remotes - I have seen them!! Trouble is Jean can't even work the remote for the tv so they are not much use either!

Blue_Gremlin

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
gas fires

hi blue gremlin

had a quick look on internet and came up with this dont know if its any good to you,
but it has got disabled control and glass front

http://www.discount-fireplace-centre.org.uk/gasfires2.htm

Colour Choice - Antique Bronze or Pewter

Balanced Flue Model Available Sahara LF
Glass Fronted Living Flame coal Gas Fire
Powerful Heat Output 4.34kw
Fitted with RW 'Safeguard' Safety System
Top Control 4 Heat Positions
Disabled Control Handle Available
Suitable for Conventional Chimneys & Pre-cast Flues
86.5 % efficient

£449
£399
£50

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Blue_Gremlin said:
Hi Guys

as when she came to us at christmas she refused to remove her coat because 'you have no fire'. the fact that it was about 900 degrees with the heating on seemed to make no difference what-so-ever. So I am banking on her feeling cold more as being a psychological thing than actually being cold.

Blue_Gremlin

Interesting, Blue Gremlin. Hadn't realised how lucky I was that mum has 'warm air' heating - and short of blocking EVERY vent with something solid really presents no great safety issue. The heat (or cool airflow for summer months) is so immediate she doesn't even have to worry about a thermostat - just one button - on or off ... (shame she doesn't recognise when the house is like a furnace and doesn't think to hit the 'off' button!).

Mum does have a beautiful gas fire (installed about 10 years ago, I reckon) which has NEVER been used (except when the Gas Board switch it on to do their annual safety checks!!!) but it remains the focal point of her living room. I think you may well be right that 'fires' are psychological and something to do with aesthetics (I think that's the right word? !!) rather than their actual practical use. Personally, if I thought my mum could remember how to ignite the fire, I would be desperately worried.... but that comes on the back on my mother having had no sense of smell for many years, hence issues of gas supplies and turning off even electric cookers long after she had 'burnt tea' (!) were issues long before 'memory loss' was a problem for her.....

Does anyone still do those 'plug in radiators'? A bit of radiator paint and imagination......?????? Perhaps not the 'focal point' for any room - but maybe Jean might take her coat off and appreciate such personal attention????

On a more serious note, perhaps weight loss has a huge contributory influence on the perceived temperature of the enviroment? I know I have never known my mother 'need' so much heat - but then she is some 5 stone lighter than she was a few years back? No 'personal' insulation.......?

Love, Karen (TF)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Lionel is becoming more and more reluctant to let us shower him. He complains that he gets cold. As I still have the heating on in his bedroom and bathroom,and warm towels on the radiator, I do not know what else to do.

Incidently, just a hour after his shower one day last week, he requested his shorts on as we were going to sit in the garden. Does not make sense to me.

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Connie,
I think there is an initial coldness when you turn a shower off and the air hits you - maybe that is what Lionel is conscious of.
Amy

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
connie said:
Lionel is becoming more and more reluctant to let us shower him. He complains that he gets cold.

Odd this temperature thing - I have similar problems with Monique - Not just the shower (when it happens) but day to day.. Too hot too cold - and I too was running the CH at full blast until very recently...

Yesterday was a beautiful warm sunny spring day and of course M was complaining of being cold!!! When I put my hand on her forehead she was cold - below normal body temperature and a glisten of sweat (sorry perspiration) Not the first time...

Is it possible that one of the senses the AD knocks out is also the ability to control body heat??? Or do the drugs do that? I have the feeling it is more than just 'imagination'....
Michael

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
My Mom also is cold all of the time. OUr temp is in the high 80's and will be 90 something by the weekend. My Mom is still in heavy sweaters, wears her suede coat and even though the air conditioner is on inthe house, she will flip on the fireplace. It is gas, with gas logs and a pilot light. Ther is a wall switch that can be flipped to start the fire. It isn't supposed to be for heat but rather ambience but I'll tell you after it is on for awhile, the house is steaming ! Their heating bill was in excess of $400 a month during the winter (ours was a little over $100 and we have a bigger house) and now she runs it with the air conditioning.
Does the brain just not know how to regulate their personal thermostat or is it their body just slowing down with the decline of the brain? Or the weight thing? Do you think this is why nursing homes cost so much.....to cover the heating bills???
Debbie