games to play

sallie

Apr 24, 2007
Devon
I am now working for Age Concern as a neighbourhood day care host, and have 4 ladies two days a week. they all have dementia. they love doing quizzes and are really quite good at them. I have been looking at games available especially for people with memory loss and they seem to be very expensive £40+, does anyone have any advice on suitable games that we can play. One lady has poor eye sight so board games are difficult. We have played name in the bag and trivial pursuits( without the board). I don't mind spending the money as long as I know the games is good.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sallie

It will be difficult to find a game that is suitable for all your four ladies as their levels of dementia might be very different.

But one game that was very successful with children with communication difficulties was a `Feely Bag`

You need a large drawstring fabric bag. Put inside a variety of everyday objects that feel very different......a comb, a ball, a cup[plastic] a toothbrush, a book, a pen........
Each person puts her hand in the bag, feels one object and tries to guess what it is. When she has guessed she can pull it out to see if she`s right.

Of course this game can only be played with people who still have enough language. :(

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
At my husband's care home they have a commercial tape recording with snatches of the openings of songs (Daisy, Old Bull and Bush etc) and large boards with the titles of the songs which are covered as each song is played. In other words it is musical bingo.

Not sure what you could do with the lady who has bad eyesight but also photocopying some pages from colouring books and colouring them in seems to go down well.

Could you go to the library and find some books with pictures relating to a specific year or years, for example World War Two which would prompt them to talk about their own experiences during this period of history.

Simple chair excercises to music such as stretching, wiggling toes, waiving arms etc., are also good fun.

A large box of various old buttons to 'sort' and play with can also be a source of amusement.

If all else fails, suggest you all make a cup of tea together.

How lovely of you to do this for Help the Aged and very good luck to you. What people want more than anything is to be touched, chatted to and to feel wanted. If you can achieve this, you will have spent valuable time with them.

xxTinaT

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Salllie

Thank you for your welcome help:)
Wish there were omre like you.
Barb & Ron
Cannot help with the games, but Ron will still answer question's from a crossword:)

kazlou

Feb 3, 2006
Surrey
Hi

I also work for a day centre and can recommend the musical bingo, we have a lady who is nearly blind and loves singing and remembers all the songs if someone can sit with her to place the discs on the board for her, the game works well.
Another game that works well is the children's fishing game ( they have little magnets on the end of a pole) this always creates a lot of fun.
I am always looking for new ideas and would love to hear of any recommendations any one can give.

Kaz

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976