Galantamine

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Does anybody have experience of galantamine (Reminyl XL). My OH was put on aricept
when first diagnosed in Feb but it caused him to have nightmares, and as he doesn't normally dream this was very distressing for him. The medication was changed to Reminyl and the dosage increased over a couple of months until now he is taking 24mg a day. All was well until 2 nights ago when he started the nightmares again. He has been taking 24 mg for the past couple of weeks with no adverse effects until now. Any advice please.

Jel

stevew

Oct 30, 2010
CORNWAL
I would advise making contact with the community psychiatric nurse who could assess and advise accordingly. It may be the dossage is incorrect or even the wrong medication, something for the consultant to investigate and rectify.

Acco

Oct 3, 2011
Hi Jel, My wife had been on Reminyl XL for 7yrs plus, no side effects. Everyone is different and the effect of medication varies from one person to another in some way. Stevew is right to suggest you should discuss the situation with your GP, consultant, as they are in the best position to know, advise, and consider the most appropriate action. I hope you find the right solution for your OH.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
My mum has been on Galantamine (Reminyl XL) since she was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 4 maybe 5 years ago and has had no adverse effects to it.
I would give your Dr a call tomorrow as maybe your OH still has residual amounts of Aricept in his system and is affecting the Galantamine.
Usually Galantamine starts at 4mg twice daily for 4 weeks, then increased to 8mg twice daily, an increase to 12mg twice daily should be initiated 4 weeks after a minimum of 4 weeks of the previous dose.
There has been some literature on Galantamine, American researchers recently analyzed the data on clinical trials on galantamine to determine whether sleep disturbances were more prevalent in those taking 16 or 24mg or those taking a placebo, the results showed Galantamine was well tolerated in terms of sleep with one exception a higher incidence of mild nightmares in the 24mg although incidence of nightmares in both groups was very low and Galantamine was judged not to be a significant problem in terms of sleep.

Jel

Mar 23, 2013
Dorset
Thank you for your advice. My OH was only on aricept for a few days before the script was changed to galantamine. He has had all the increases in dosage from 4mg to 24mg and it seems that it is the 24mg that is causing the problem. I will ring the consultant tomorrow as advised. Thanks to you all.

Jel