• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Gaining control of my father's bank account.

Schroedi

Jan 17, 2020
Hi All,
Discussing money is never nice at the best of times.

This is all a bit complicated for me, so I am looking to find out who I could contact, so that I can take the relevant paperwork to the bank.

My father is a British citizen, but moved back to New Zealand when he was diagnosed with dementia. I have an enduring power of attorney for his health and well being and his finances, but this was done in NZ. I tried to get one filled out for the UK - and in fact it was signed 7 months after he first received it. (btw I do not live in NZ, but as there was no one else I took on the responsibility). Then the solicitor sent it back to me, but I was serious ill in hospital. The upshot being the it was never authorised in the UK.

My father managed to tidy up most things before he went back to NZ, but he kept his UK bank account. within the next couple of months he will have to go into a home, and as he is above the means-tested threshold is required to pay for his care.

So can anyone tell me what my options are? And or who I could contact?

Thanks!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester

By
it was never authorised in the UK.
do you mean not registered with the OPG or not presented to the bank?

If registered - stamped 'validated OPG - take it and proof of your ID (ask bank before you go) to the bank so they can record you as attorney and you can operate the account. Don't let them keep the original LPA, insist they take a copy.

Registering with the OPG is simply but will take 8 to 10 weeks

You could also try to find out whether the NZ power is, or can easily and quickly be made, valid for use in the UK? Contact head office of bank.

Ideally you ultimately want the funds transferred to an account in NZ

Schroedi

Jan 17, 2020
By

do you mean not registered with the OPG or not presented to the bank?

If registered - stamped 'validated OPG - take it and proof of your ID (ask bank before you go) to the bank so they can record you as attorney and you can operate the account. Don't let them keep the original LPA, insist they take a copy.

Registering with the OPG is simply but will take 8 to 10 weeks

You could also try to find out whether the NZ power is, or can easily and quickly be made, valid for use in the UK? Contact head office of bank.

Ideally you ultimately want the funds transferred to an account in NZ
I mean not registered with the OPG, I was under the assumption that after three months it became invalid, so I took no further action. I realise now I should have been more pro-active.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
Getting the bank to agree to using the NZ power will not be instantaneous and may not happen.

Consider registering the English LPA https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-lasting-power-of-attorney and starting the 8 to 10 weeks delay.

It will cost £82, recoverable from your father's funds, and probably less than the cost of 1 day's residential care - don't know cost in NZ, £572/wk in UK is at the bottom end, if it exists.

Schroedi

Jan 17, 2020
Getting the bank to agree to using the NZ power will not be instantaneous and may not happen.

It will cost £82, recoverable from your father's funds, and probably less than the cost of 1 day's residential care - don't know cost in NZ, £572/wk in UK is at the bottom end, if it exists.
Thank you! I will contact them on Monday. Care in NZ is 'capped' at approx $1400 NZD (700 Pounds) a week.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Does the UK Bank have branches in NZ?
It might be a simple inter-branch transfer.

Bod

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
Does the UK Bank have branches in NZ?
It might be a simple inter-branch transfer.
Maybe worth a try
The OP could, if necessary, open a NZ account, however there is no authority to initiate the transfer in the UK and I don't think the UK would accept a request from a NZ bank without proof that the holder of both accounts was the same person, difficult when nobody has authority at the UK bank.

charlie10

Dec 20, 2018
As a UK migrant in NZ I can confirm how difficult it is to get a chunk of money moved over....we were told by Barclays some years ago we would have to present ourselves in person in our old branch in order to authorise it.....and they weren't offering to pay the airfare! Otherwise we could withdraw the daily amount from the hole in the wall, and, of course pay the fees each time. We shelved the problem and left it there for emergency dashes back, but now we want it all in our sticky little hands and are embroiled in midnight phonecalls to Barclays and talking to money advisors over here as it's so complicated. Ridiculous that we can't get ourselves verified over here and that be passed on......I expect it's similar going in the opposite direction too. Hope you can find any easier way o_O:(

Schroedi

Jan 17, 2020
Thank you all very much for your advice. I actually do not live in NZ but in Europe, and yes the bank in the UK has said I must meet face to face. The NZ bank allowed me to organise everything using email and snail mail.
I will contact the Office of the Public Guardian on Monday and see what advice they can give me.

I will keep you all posted.

Have a nice week.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
If you are in Europe now, then things might be different "Common Market" and all that. But be quick it will/might change by the end of the month.

Bod