Gadgets to help with Memory Loss?

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by katykate, Dec 14, 2007.

1. katykate

katykate Registered User

Dec 14, 2007
    Essex
    Hi,
    I have joined the forum to ask if anyone knows of any gadgets or products that can help with finding things, particularly wallets, keys etc. My Granparents are in their 80's and my Grandad has Alzheimers, he is always mis placing things, my Gran doesn't have any memory loss but is getting a bit fed up with Grandad always loosing things!

I was thinking there must be some gadgets on the market that can help, like a card or something he can keep in his wallet that has a remote you press and it makes the card in the wallet bleep (would probably need to padlock the remote to something!).

I've had a search on the internet but can't fnd anything. If anyone knows of anything that may help I would be very pleased to hear from you.

Best Wishes
    Kate

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Hi Katykate and welcome to Talking Point.

We intermittently have discussions about the sort of things you're looking for. For the longest time I thought that technology could help me keep my mother safe at a distance, and I spent a fair amount of money trying that, only to finally understand that technology has its limitations. So although there are some things you might try, you need to take some of these ideas with a pinch of salt.

I think the "whistle" type key chains are fairly widely available - you whistle and it beeps back at you. Unfortuantely I found that all sorts of things would set this off - whistles, yes, but also music, certain speech patterns, the microwave - if it made a noise in the right frequency range the darn thing would beep. Unfortunately I didn't find that it beeped loudly enough to really give a direction, particularly if it was stuffed inside a chair.

I'll see if I can find any past threads for you.

3. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
  4. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    Best 'gadget' I ever bought was a 20p piece of ribbon in a bright colour which my mum wears as a necklace with her key on it ............. suggested too that I don't change her purse of many years (too confusing for her) but tie similar bright ribbon to that instead ...... at least if it's 'mislaid' around the house the bright ribbon will make it easier to find again ....... ;)

OK, perhaps your grandad won't like ribbons - but there are 'necklaces' now for mobile phones etc which could be used for similar purposes .......

Might be worthwhile pursuing these kind of ideas first than expensive 'gadgets' .... technology is not just electronic! ;)

Love and luck, Karen. x

5. Margaret W

Margaret W Registered User

Apr 28, 2007
    North Derbyshire
    Hey, everyone and everyone who has a memory stick wears it round their neck with a striped cord. I believe you can get the striped cord for any computer shop, e.g. Dixons, Currys and they are the "in thing".

Margaret

6. gigi

gigi Registered User

Nov 16, 2007
    East Midlands
    Can anyone tell me what a memory stick is,please?:confused:

7. jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
    It's removable flash memory for a computer and it's about the size (normally) of a small lighter.

8. Lynne

Lynne Registered User

Jun 3, 2005
    Suffolk,England