• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Gadgets and Gizmos


Registered User
Jun 4, 2012

My mum has middle stage alzheimers and we are struggling such a lot with everything from personal care to eating and drinking, getting up from chair and bed etc and being mobile enough to attend medical appointments .

I am now wondering whether anyone has help from their Care Homes with purchasing items that they need like specialised cutlery and mugs to aid their drinking and eating or providing maybe a perching stool to help in the bathroom as mum is very unstable and wobbly or providing a wheelchair or over the bed table. Is it OT that helps or is an assessment required for needs?. Any help would be appreciated as everything seems a struggle for mum right now and I am sure there are products that could lighten the load a bit. Thanks for any response.


Registered User
May 21, 2014
I'm not sure why a care home would help here but if you mean Social Services, yes, they can refer you to OT who come out to make an assessment of her and her environment. Grab rails and shower chairs etc are common but you might have to buy the special cutlery yourself.


Registered User
Aug 15, 2015
Don't forget anything you buy you shouldn't pay VAT on as she's disabled. Try googling living aids, or Alzheimer's aids, I even look at the aids for blind people as they sometimes cover a lot of things that help like a speaking clock.

For the bigger things your best bet is to get assessment done for her.


Volunteer Moderator
Dec 15, 2012
Maybe have a chat with the care home manager. It may be that the staff do have use of communal equipment they use to help your mum.
In dad's home there are shared cups, wheelchairs etc available and they choose what is appropriate for each resident.
There is probably a policy on what the home will provide and what you could bring in, so you would have an idea of what you could provide yourselves - but I would ask their advice and/or have an OT input as sometimes what we think is useful is not as supportive as we think.
I do though, wonder what you mean by "you" are struggling - surely the staff support her in the things you mention.

Lost bluebird

Registered User
Oct 6, 2015

Yes the care home my husband is in asked for an assessment for seating As he has contraction in both knees and referred him to an OT. I am not saying this was a quick exercise but he now has a brilliant chair which has made such a difference to his quality of life. So don't be afraid to ask, good luck and take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point


Registered User
Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello & Sorry am Confused ***

Hello & sorry I am a little :confused: with your Post Question = is your Mum being cared for by you ? or is she in a Care Home ? ( only asking because you mentioned about a Care Home ) If she is in a Care Home they should provide every thing that she needs e g Special Cutlery etc However if she is living with you ( or rather we* as you said ) agree with you a O T assessment would be a good idea especially if she needs bed Aids & or Aids for the Bath / Shower etc ( too make sure they are the correct height etc for your Mum ) Age Uk ( I think ? ) do some aids & also some local Chain Pharmacy 's sell them ( my local pharmacy has been taken over** by a London Chain** & they do a small selection of items

Hope this helps & think ? you might have too ask your G P for help with asking for a O T appointment ( tho guess you might be aware of this ? )

Grove x x