G 8 Summit on Dementia

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Good morning all !! In all the excitement i have forgot to tell you about our Ministerial visit tomorrow at the local memory Clinic!!! Tomorrow morning we will be visited by none other than Lord Howe and John Rouse, Director of social care at the dept of health.

The dementia leadership group i chair has been asked to go along and have a Q+A session with them!! As you can imagine i cant wait!! and the first question on my list is this one

" The G 8 summit regarding Dementia is being held in London this December, its one of the most important summits in the world re dementia. Why then, has NO ONE who actually HAS Dementia, been asked to speak at this, to tell them how it really is LIVING with Dementia and OUR dreams for the FUTURE !!!""

What do you think ???
looking forward to the reply ?? So am i , have a great day, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Norms, you are a giant among men! I hope they listen to what you have to say....it's SO important! Can you hear us all cheering you on?:):(:):):):):):):(:):(:):(:(:):(:(:(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Norrms

It would also help if carers were allowed their say. Not professional carers who go off when the shift ends but family carers who live with it too, 24/7.

Once again. Well done to you for your tireless campaigning.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It would also help if carers were allowed their say. Not professional carers who go off when the shift ends but family carers who live with it too, 24/7.

Once again. Well done to you for your tireless campaigning.

Good point Sylvia.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
I agree wholeheartedly. My partner has a chronic medical condition and we were both asked by her consultant to present at a UK conference. On a personal level, I found it very emotional to talk openly about how her condition has impacted our lives. For the medical professionals it was extremely important and invaluable as they heard what it like to have the condition from a person with the condition and form her partner.

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
Good morning all !! In all the excitement i have forgot to tell you about our Ministerial visit tomorrow at the local memory Clinic!!! Tomorrow morning we will be visited by none other than Lord Howe and John Rouse, Director of social care at the dept of health.

The dementia leadership group i chair has been asked to go along and have a Q+A session with them!! As you can imagine i cant wait!! and the first question on my list is this one

" The G 8 summit regarding Dementia is being held in London this December, its one of the most important summits in the world re dementia. Why then, has NO ONE who actually HAS Dementia, been asked to speak at this, to tell them how it really is LIVING with Dementia and OUR dreams for the FUTURE !!!""

What do you think ???
looking forward to the reply ?? So am i , have a great day, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx

I thought the same as you, Norms , here is a copy of the email I sent to no. 10 Downing Street,
Dear prime minister,
excuse my ignorance , I don't remember your name, please excuse my grammar and spelling too, I have Alzheimer's .
I believe you're having a g8 summit/ meeting about dementia, that the politicians, policy makers, managers, scientists and doctors are going to discuss what is to be dune about this horrible disease and how to best manage what seems to have the potensional to reach epidemic proportions in the not to near future .
Thank you from the bottom of heart .
But why haven't you got a speaker with this disease to tell everyone what it's like to lie in bed , still ,because you can't remember what to do next, forgetting friends and family's faces, not recogniseing the person sat next to you sometimes and that is your wife. On cloudy days forgetting how to talk, not being able to get out of a closed room cos you're hands are full. Undoing all you've learnt, all you've ever been taught, but smiling and being brave for the people around you when your told there is no cure !
Not so far away I will eventually forget how to eat, communicate ,walk and eventually breathe, while my wife , children and grandchildren look on !
My body is quite strong, so I will live far too long .
How old am I you ask ?
I'm 52 years old , with a family of 5 children , and 2 grandchildren ,
self employed or used to be ! The wife now runs our business, brings up our children, grandchildren .
Yours faithfully

Last edited:

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hi

Wonderful letter Chris, the good news is they do now actaully have someone with dementia speaking at the summit!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx