Funding!! help if possible


Registered User
Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Hi there everyone - wonder if any one can shed some light on a letter i received from East Sussex County Council re my dad - i have power of attorney.
It is asking for me to sign over to them the power to look into with the Dept of work and pensions whether we should be paying/ or claiming entitlements for dad's care.
He is currently on a section 119 and we do not have to pay towards his care - is there a catch here - are they trying to find a way that my mum has to contribute?
I have a feeling that the level of care has changed due to his almost bedridden state - only gets out of bed for occasional sits in a chair, sleeping most of the time and not always eating due to being asleep. Could this be the reason?
A bit worried as we have no means of contributing to his care as mum only gets dads and her single pension.
Would be graeful if anyone has been through this process if they could let me know what they are after - there's no way they are going to give us anything!!
Thank you Sue


Registered User
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Sue

Can I suggest that you get in touch with an organisation called the Welfare Rights Organsiation who should be able to give impartial advice, your Social Services fo phone book should have the number. Also Help the Aged have advocacy workers who should also be able to help. I would also get in touch with advisors at the Court of protection to see if they can shed any light on this.



Registered User
Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Jude and Geraldine
Many thanks for your replies - i actually quoted the wrong section - Dad is on a 117 - the home told me yesterday that this means that dad is currently 100% funded from social services, which apparently very unusual.
I spoke to a SW at East Sussex and they have told me to complete the form but making it clear that Dad was on a 117 and that is how it will remain. My worry is that when they link to the DSS and search that they will want his pension, which will leave mum with no money to buy clothes, pay for hair cuts and chiropody.
I don't want to sign something without knowing what they can do first, but it seems very difficult to get a straight answer.
i really think that they don't know either.
Will contact relevant organisations - thanks again for your help Sue


Registered User
Jul 9, 2003
South Coast
Hello Susan

I have just looked up the Age Concern website and they have a factsheet Number 20 "Continuing NHS health care, NHS funded registered nursing care and intermediate care" which may be helpful. It has just been updated (June2004) so should have the latest information. In fact I had trouble downloading it, although I can download their other factsheets with no problems - so maybe it's a glitch on their system. Their factsheets are usually very good.

However, I rang them on the number provided (0800 00 99 66) and they are sending me a printed copy. Also I was told that they have an information and advice team, phone 0808 808 6060, so it could be worth ringing them for advice.

My understanding is that if someone is under a Section 117, then the NHS has to continue to pay for their care, even if it is not in an NHS establishment. Of course, it is possible that after a while the Health Authority will re-classify and say that the person no longer needs to be under a Section and then that person would have to contribute if they have the means.

I also understand that if he has to pay at all, your dad can give your mum half his pension to live on, and the other half goes towards paying for his care. But do check all this out, as it is some time since I looked into all this, and things may have changed.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Best wishes



Registered User
Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Don't sign ANYTHING until you have it checked out by your Solcitor.

I rang the Attendance Allowance people this morning as my mother has been on a half AA for ages and needs upgrading to full time. During my conversation, I was read a WARNING statement that the review might reduce my mother's allowance rather than increase it.

For God's sake....



Registered User
Jan 31, 2004
near London
I'd guess they have to use that little script in the same way as financial organisations have to warn that investments can go down as well as up.

I'd hope they were just covering themselves for an unlikely possibility.

... I would also be doing exactly as Jude says to cover the situation!


Registered User
Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Thank you all for the advice - have taken notice and will consult with my solicitor that put the POA into operation.
Why when we have so many worries do they have to add to the stress by trying to deceive us!!!
Hopefully this will be a warning to others that are in a similar situation -thank you all - will let you know the outcome Sue


Registered User
Jun 29, 2004

Hi Susan,

I received a letter from our local social services which was a mandate that I was to sign, giving them authority to obtain information about pensions, benefits being received etc. I don't know if it's as sinister as it appears - I think what it is is that the DWP (Department of Work and Pensions) is central government and the social is local authority and someone can maybe obtain a benefit that the social dont know about, when its from the DWP. Having said that, check with an expert, cos I'm not, but that's what I thought it was about


Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Latest member