Funding for long term care

Nels

Jul 25, 2006
Romford Essex
Thanks Lucille. I am just relieved that mum and sister are now in extra care sheltered housing, what with the move and MIL being admitted to hosp and today being moved to a NH, it has been manic but at least I know that they are not opening the door to all and sundry 'come in, who are you' etc. At least mum knows she is on the 1st floor, even if she can't find the flat. Just absolutely shattered have just got back from the hosp, no docs to speak to about MIL...... have tried all week and the ambulance has now picked her up to take her to a NH as she is medically stable. A nurse read the notes and said the neuro psych made no mention of medication, so it looks as if we will have to press the NH doc or her GP for a referrral to the memory clinic. I cannot believe that it was all arranged without consulting the family at 4pm yesterday and also that the ambulance took her off the ward whilst I was in the toilet at the hosp without waiting for me. BIL has followed in his car and sent me home as I was so cross but she will be in a real panic. I am just so tired of fighting the system all the time and now we have to try and get care set up for when she comes home.

Helena

May 24, 2006
My Mother was left on her own in 1952 when NO SOCIAL SECURITY existed for single mothers
She sttruggled to work 20 hours a day at 3 jobs just to keep us fed

She was 52 years old before she had managed to scrape together the deposit on her small 2 bedroom bungalow
She too went without and scrimped and scraped right through to 90 years old

I was starting on the fight for her care costs to be paid by the NHS when she died

End result Gordon Brown has demanded a HUGE Inheritance tax bill from the proceeds of her bungalow all because she lived in the South of England

She never paid 40% tax in her life
Never received a penny in benefits
was definitely never rich

yet she is effectively being robbed of everything she struggled for so that this government can waste it on illegal immigrants and all those who defraud the benefit system ............its totally disgraceful

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Helena said:
End result Gordon Brown has demanded a HUGE Inheritance tax bill from the proceeds of her bungalow all because she lived in the South of England

And Gordon Brown will be our next Prime Minister ... how delightful :mad: I can only hope the ballot box hits him over the head at the next General Election. Although there's no guarantees whomever gets in.

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
all very interesting !!!

I have heard of a number of cases where the original ruling that a person was not entitled to continuing care, but at a latter stage was found to be eligible.

What is needed by all is a data base of the judgments of these cases; so that other people can use that information in their case for continuing care.

If a case goes to a tribunal, the results are recorded; why the tribunal voted for or against the item in question. These results and the findings are in the public domain.

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
funding

Hi All, im afraid as i have mentioned elsewhere here when the welfare state was set up in 1948 it was a con. Gutless politicians look after themselves and there cronies and hell to the rest of us. Perhaps a revolution? Shauny.

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
No-one expected so many people to live so long after retiring. No-one expected heart transplants, or treatments for cancer ... or IVF.

Lila

Last edited: