Funding for 1 to 1 care in EMI home

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hi folks,

Does anyone know how NHS funding for 1 to 1 support for dementia patients in a residential care homes works?

Is is possible? If so, how can it be accessed?

Polly H:confused:

The Goatess

Jun 18, 2010
Hi Polly,

I'm also trying to figure this one out. I was told by the manager of a care home that I went to visit that this could kick in after a continuing care assessment that stressed complex needs.

However I had previously mentioned this to NHS mental health, who laughed (same PCT), and when I asked the social worker yesterday, she didn't know of it.

If it's possible to access it would solve an awful lot of problems for me (my mum and dad have to move care home because of my dad's unpredictable violence, but it looks unlikely that there is a care home in the area that can meet his needs), so am going to be asking about it as much as I can over the next few days.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I thought it might be useful to share the little I've learned about it so far. Good luck.

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
Hi Polly

My mum was given 1 to 1 care in an emi nursing home and it was funded with NHS continuing care. It still didn't work for us so I brought mum home to live with me and I'm supported with a team of care assistants from an agency. Some of the care assistants work other shifts in an emi nursing home nearby and they are doing 1 to 1 or sometimes 2 to 1 with a particular resident there. So, it is possible but I would think you would only get it with continuing care funding. Good luck with it.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
Perhaps contact Alzheimers society, they might know about it and haunt need to do.

sorry can't be of any help

The Goatess

Jun 18, 2010
Hi Polly

My mum was given 1 to 1 care in an emi nursing home and it was funded with NHS continuing care. It still didn't work for us so I brought mum home to live with me and I'm supported with a team of care assistants from an agency. Some of the care assistants work other shifts in an emi nursing home nearby and they are doing 1 to 1 or sometimes 2 to 1 with a particular resident there. So, it is possible but I would think you would only get it with continuing care funding. Good luck with it.

Hi Mowood,

Do you know if the 1 to 1 kicked in specifically because it was a nursing home rather than residential? I have been led to believe that it can happen at residential level but I'm not sure.

Sorry for jumping in on this, it just so happens that working this out is my main task for the day.

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hi Mowood,

The EMI residential home receives NHS Continuing Health Care funding for Dad (via "Decision Tool" process) rather than move him into a nursing home.The level of funding seems to be the issue at the moment.

I belive a re-assessment is probably required but just wondered if anyone else has been there and could shed some light about their own experiences.

Polly H

mowood

Dec 27, 2009
West Yorkshire
Hi Polly,

In my mum's case it was because she had complex needs. As well as dementia she is completely blind and deaf and has a number of other health problems.

I found the PCT was prepared to fund the 1 to 1 initially but looked at all ways to reduce it.

Now that mum is at home with me, she still gets the 1 to 1 care from agency care assistants (for the time being) but again, the PCT has been looking for ways to reduce the package.

If 1 to 1 care has been deemed necessary, I can't see why it couldn't be delivered in an emi residential home.

The people in the care home that our care assistants work in get 1 or 2 to 1 because of challenging behaviour.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.

Polly H

Nov 26, 2009
Hi Mowood,

Thanks for that. It has been a useful insight. I think I know where this is going now.

Take care

Polly H:)