Funding A SS Care Package

sixy74

Jul 4, 2018
Hi
Not sure if this is the right place or not to ask for advice regarding funding an NHS care package, apologies if it isn’t.
If a care package is forced upon you by SS am I right in assuming it is free for the first 6 weeks then SS will ask you to complete a form to assess your ability to pay.
Am I right in thinking that you end up in a situation where if you have no savings st all your private pension and Goverment pension will be used to provide the care you require at home and if so how do you continue to pay your household costs , utility bills etc etc if all of your income is used to pay for a care package?
Hopefully I am missing something here

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I know nothing about the 6 weeks rehabilitation period but they only take the pensions if someone goes to a care home, not for home care. How your contribution for that is assessed is complicated and I believe may vary by council, but if you have no savings at all you shouldn't have to pay a penny. My OH never had to pay.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi @sixy74
Care arrangements are something of a postcode lottery but in many areas you are right, the first six weeks may be free, if it’s accessed via an NHS run service.
After that (or sooner if there’s no NHS involvement), a financial assessment will be done to see how much the person can afford to pay. This will depend entirely on means ie the well off may pay the full cost, but someone with a small pension will pay much less ( or nothing). The person should have enough left to pay essential bills and buy food and clothing etc.
I’d advise you to read the fact sheet mentioned above for more information.
All the best
Lindy x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
As well as a needs assessment by SS for the PWD you should ask for a carers assessment for yourself as carer. I was given this before I understood the difference and a social worker purely for carers turned out to be one of my best contacts. Although I didn't have help in the home at the time she told me about various ways in which she could support me if I needed it in the future. She has been as good as her word and on the few occasions I have asked she has jumped into action.

The only thing I have been charged for so far is our alarm system in case John falls and our contribution to his respite.

Best of luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinydaffodil