funding 117 / nhs ?

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
Now we are at the point of thinking a residential placement I am needing some help I think :)

OK now dad is still under section 3 of MHA so when he is discharged to EMI care home am I right in thinking this will be all 117 funded ?

When assessed in hospital before this weekends discharge events he was assessed as not eligible for continuing NHS funding .

Am I right in thinking the 2 different funds are not related ?

Secondly I have read on here that some CH are expecting funded placements to top up for a single room could if he is 117 funded he top up from his own funds ?

This side of things is so complicated :confused:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
You're right - CHC, and funding under Section 117 'aftercare' are totally different.

The only way your Dad could become self-funding would be if the Section was removed - and it is extremely unlikely that your Dad will make a miraculous recovery sufficient for him to live back in his own home, for instance. So that Section 117 aftercare must remain.

Nobody can be forced to share a room in care home. So the only people who should share a room are those who have made a positive choice to do so.

Top-ups just do not come into the debate, especially where Section 117 'aftercare' is concerned. It is fully funded, and your Dad cannot be charged.

Age UK factsheet: http://www.ageuk.org.uk/documents/e..._permanent_residential_care_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true

Page 28 and 29 (my highlighting)

Points of law: In R v Richmond LBC and others, ex parte Watson and others [1992] 2 CCLR 402, it was held that after-care provision under Section 117 does not have to continue indefinitely but it must continue until the health body and the local authority are satisfied that the individual no longer needs such services. The judge felt that it was difficult to see how such a situation could arise where the illness is dementia. The Ombudsman has found maladministration where a local authority sought to discharge a person from s117 who is in a care home on the grounds they had ‘settled’ - Complaint no 06/B/16774 against Bath and NE Somerset Council 2008.

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
:D:D I am so pleased I found this forum , the support and knowledge shared makes such a difference.

SW has confirmed 117 funding and now we shall be looking for a a place where he has his own room;):D

Dad has been through so much so the sooner we can get him settled the better .

bobtail

Nov 9, 2012
yes my dad was also sectioned and now is under a section 117 which means total funding..and the advice received is correct no top ups or anything..it gives a lot of peace of mind, prior to this we went through some horror stories of shared bathrooms, a small bedroom ...CH smelling of urine so bad you had to take a deep breath, hold it and run as fast as your legs would take you to dads bedroom..at the time one home said to be EMD housed seriously sick people banging their heads on walls and half naked...dad escaped in a scene that would have given the interns of the "great escape" a run for their money bless him.. but thank God he did in retrospect! as he was sectioned after this episode and it was the best action he could have taken although he did not see it that way, he resides now in a state of the art dementia unit which we could never have afforded and should be accessible to all dementia patients in my opinion.