Funded Nursing Care

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If someone has been assessed as requiring nursing care and awarded FNC can social services subsequently assess and decide that nursing care / a nursing home is not necessary? Wouldn't the decision have to be made by someone medically qualified or can a social worker do this? I've tried google but couldn't find anything that covers this so wondered if anyone here has experience/knowledge of this.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Louise7
I don't have experience myself
but reading around shouts that the Nursing in FNC means that the person has been formally assessed as needing nursing care, which is what qualifies them for the FNC, which has to be provided by nurses either visiting a care home (actually not sure about that) or in a nursing home .... I don't understand how anyone other than those assessors can alter that
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...ey-work-and-benefits/nhs-funded-nursing-care/
and
https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/nhs-continuing-healthcare-and-nhs-funded-nursing-care

I wonder, is the 'problem' that your mum is in a care home but not a nursing home?

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
has to be provided by nurses either visiting a care home (actually not sure about that) or in a nursing home
It does have to be a nursing home. I cant see that SWs can argue that a nursing home is not required if they have been awarded FNC.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Thanks for the responses. Mum was deemed to require nursing care and 1:1 support to keep her safe, which resulted in the FNC being awarded. Social services subsequently assessed her as not requiring 1:1 and advised that a residential care home would have more activities and be able to monitor her medication. Mum was not self-funding so I guess saving money was considered more important than safeguarding.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thanks for the responses. Mum was deemed to require nursing care and 1:1 support to keep her safe, which resulted in the FNC being awarded. Social services subsequently assessed her as not requiring 1:1 and advised that a residential care home would have more activities and be able to monitor her medication. Mum was not self-funding so I guess saving money was considered more important than safeguarding.

ones a medical assessment FNC, the other is a social needs assessment

care is also to be provided at home if that was PWD wishes.

just get the care in place & worry about the agencies sorting this out - FNC can also be applicable in a care home if registered nursing staff available 24/7

it’s so complicated!!!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
ones a medical assessment FNC, the other is a social needs assessment

FNC is only awarded after a full CHC assessment, which covers both health & care needs, so presumably social services shouldn't just ignore the identified care needs which resulted in the FNC being awarded? Mum's care is now sorted but she was initially placed in a residential home without 1:1 care or registered nursing support, resulting in harm. Unfortunately if you're not self-funding it's not so easy to 'just get the care in place' - you have to rely on social services :(

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
FNC is only awarded after a full CHC assessment, which covers both health & care needs, so presumably social services shouldn't just ignore the identified care needs which resulted in the FNC being awarded? Mum's care is now sorted but she was initially placed in a residential home without 1:1 care or registered nursing support, resulting in harm. Unfortunately if you're not self-funding it's not so easy to 'just get the care in place' - you have to rely on social services :(

it’s all going to be too late for Dad - now tonight after paramedics called out he’s on oromorph- poor Dads severely dehydrated & in his best interests along with his TEP form no further intervention now just pain relief.

at least he is pain free now, & sleeping peacefully

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti