Funded nursing care payments

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Mum is in a nursing home and is eligible for the £112 a week for that. When we were self funding, we paid the money to the nursing home and then they applied and refunded it to us when the NHS paid it.
Looking at the nursing home's accounts, I am confuses with what happens with funded nursing care when you are no longer self funding. First Mum was on the 12 week property disregard and now she is funded by the local authority with a top up from me. So once the local authority is involved, what happens wirh the nursing care funding?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I'm surprised you had yo pay it only to then get it refunded as when my husband was self-funding, it was paid automatically directly to the NH, presumably by the NHS. The fees I was quoted at each NH always had the Nursing element already deducted.

Once the LA started to contribute towards the fees, the situation remained and the LA invoices made no mention of the nursing element.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
So once the local authority is involved, what happens wirh the nursing care funding?

I've been told that once the resident is no longer self funding and the LA takes over, that the funded nursing care contribution stops. The care home told me this.

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
I've been told that once the resident is no longer self funding and the LA takes over, that the funded nursing care contribution stops. The care home told me this.
Thanks both. That is what I am wondering, Spiro.
I too am surprised you ever had to pay it. The NH has to apply for it from the NHS. The NH should know that it can be never paid to you in any circumstances.

As for Spiro's comment I believe that to be totally untrue. The £112 does not stop when self funding or LA assisted. The only reason it would ever stop is if Nursing Care is no longer needed or the person is entitled to CHC.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
I don't know why the nursing home did that, it is their standard procedure. I suppose it is so they are not out of pocket, as it took about 9 months for the nursing fee to be paid to the NH by the NHS.
So I am still confused about what happens once you stop self funding then. :confused:

Worried Nurse

Jan 30, 2013
Funded Nursing Care can only be paid (where there are registered nursing needs) after Continuing Healthcare has been considered and deemed not to apply. Therefore depending on the circumstances leading up to admission, the NHS may or may not have had opportunity to assess. If there has not been opportunity beforehand, most nursing homes (especially the larger organisations) would exclude that amount from the individual's bill and apply to the NHS for it and wait for it to be backdated to them, whereas others who may be on tighter margins may charge the whole amount to the individual and then if / when the NHS backdate to them, will reimburse the individual. Hope that helps to clarify why there are different experiences.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
That does explain that, thanks WN. Still wondering if anyone knows if being self funded or not makes a difference to it being paid...

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Still wondering if anyone knows if being self funded or not makes a difference to it being paid...
As I said in post #5 it makes no difference at all. It is paid where it has been deemed there is a Nursing need. It is not means tested.:)

Worried Nurse

Jan 30, 2013
It is paid to the nursing home whomever is funding. It effectively replaces the district nursing input (services, equipment etc) which would be provided at home or in residential homes. Local authorities are prohibited from providing registered nursing care and therefore cannot pay for that part.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
That is what I thought, so there are some payments that have been taken off us by the care home that I don't understand, I shall have take it up with them. Thanks WN and Pete for clarifying that.

Spiro

Mar 11, 2012
As for Spiro's comment I believe that to be totally untrue. The £112 does not stop when self funding or LA assisted. The only reason it would ever stop is if Nursing Care is no longer needed or the person is entitled to CHC.

It is paid to the nursing home whomever is funding. It effectively replaces the district nursing input (services, equipment etc) which would be provided at home or in residential homes. Local authorities are prohibited from providing registered nursing care and therefore cannot pay for that part.

Thank you both for for confirming this.

I did wonder about this at the time. The home is short staffed and didn't think it appropriate or wise to debate the issue.:D