Funded a nursing Care Query

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Hello all,
My mother in law has Alzheimer’s and vascular dementia. She is currently in a residential home. Last week she had a nursing assessment and they’ve decided she needs nursing care. They said it would be FNC.

I think she is self funding... or partially. Basically she keeps about £100 a month of her state pension. She lost her attendance allowance when she went into the residential home so I’m guessing she is partly funded.

So my question is... will funded nursing care pay for all her care home fees other than top up fees? Or will they still take her pension and expect my father in law to pay the top up fees? Thanks in advance

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum. Funded nursing care is only paid to those who are resident in a nursing home, and these are more expensive than residential homes. From what you have said I'm assuming that your mother in law's care is paid for via the local authority. The £100 monthly that she receives as 'spending money' in her current home will remain the same in a nursing home. The funded nursing care rate - £165.56 will be paid directly to the nursing home. The local authority will have a maximum rate they will pay for nursing homes. Once your mother in law moves to a nursing home the local authority will reassess the finances but just to add that her husband is not obliged to pay a top up fee. The council should provide at least one suitable nursing home placement that meets your mother in law's needs and does not require a top up payment, although a different home can be chosen by family if they are prepared to pay the extra top up between what the council will pay and how much the home costs. Hope that helps.

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Welcome to the forum. Funded nursing care is only paid to those who are resident in a nursing home, and these are more expensive than residential homes. From what you have said I'm assuming that your mother in law's care is paid for via the local authority. The £100 monthly that she receives as 'spending money' in her current home will remain the same in a nursing home. The funded nursing care rate - £165.56 will be paid directly to the nursing home. The local authority will have a maximum rate they will pay for nursing homes. Once your mother in law moves to a nursing home the local authority will reassess the finances but just to add that her husband is not obliged to pay a top up fee. The council should provide at least one suitable nursing home placement that meets your mother in law's needs and does not require a top up payment, although a different home can be chosen by family if they are prepared to pay the extra top up between what the council will pay and how much the home costs. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the warm welcome and reply. So basically, my MIL would still lose her state pension (less the personal allowance) and pay top up fees (unless my FIL goes along with the local authorities choice)?
We’ve been told to choose a home.... but without knowing what we will have to pay it’s difficult.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
Thanks for the warm welcome and reply. So basically, my MIL would still lose her state pension (less the personal allowance) and pay top up fees (unless my FIL goes along with the local authorities choice)?
We’ve been told to choose a home.... but without knowing what we will have to pay it’s difficult.
That is all correct , you will find as I did that finding a NH with availability is very hard , I found one for my mums move from CH to NH and she was partially funded ..... her state pension , plus FNC and then Local Authority paid rest . They weren’t happy paying the rate for the NH that I had found but it was the only one with a bed available and mum was very poorly , I had an amazing social worker who agreed that there were no beds any where else and together we dug in and finally they agreed to allow mums move to NH . You really didn’t have to stand your ground and allow the system to work it’s way , it’s tough especially when you are emotionally drained . Good luck be positive.

Moose1966

Feb 10, 2017
Staffordshire
That is all correct , you will find as I did that finding a NH with availability is very hard , I found one for my mums move from CH to NH and she was partially funded ..... her state pension , plus FNC and then Local Authority paid rest . They weren’t happy paying the rate for the NH that I had found but it was the only one with a bed available and mum was very poorly , I had an amazing social worker who agreed that there were no beds any where else and together we dug in and finally they agreed to allow mums move to NH . You really didn’t have to stand your ground and allow the system to work it’s way , it’s tough especially when you are emotionally drained . Good luck be positive.
Edit ..... you really do have to stand your ground.....

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Many thanks! You’ve been very helpful

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Hi Louise7.... please can you tell me where it says that Local Authority have to provide at least one place without top up fees. The social worker says this is not the case.... but I’ve read it somewhere. Thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Unfortunately it's quite common for social workers to provide inaccurate information relating to funding/finances.

The info you need is in the Care Act 2014. See this link - Annex A para 12:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ry-guidance#charging-and-financial-assessment

12) A person must not be asked to pay a ‘top-up’ towards the cost of their accommodation because of market inadequacies or commissioning failures and must ensure there is a genuine choice. The local authority therefore must ensure that at least one option is available that is affordable within a person’s personal budget and should ensure that there is more than one. If no preference has been expressed and no suitable accommodation is available at the amount identified in a personal budget, the local authority must arrange care in a more expensive setting and adjust the budget accordingly to ensure that needs are met. In such circumstances, the local authority must not ask for the payment of a ‘top-up’ fee. Only when a person has chosen a more expensive accommodation can a ‘top-up’ payment be sought.

Cariad71

Oct 14, 2019
Unfortunately it's quite common for social workers to provide inaccurate information relating to funding/finances.

The info you need is in the Care Act 2014. See this link - Annex A para 12:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ry-guidance#charging-and-financial-assessment

12) A person must not be asked to pay a ‘top-up’ towards the cost of their accommodation because of market inadequacies or commissioning failures and must ensure there is a genuine choice. The local authority therefore must ensure that at least one option is available that is affordable within a person’s personal budget and should ensure that there is more than one. If no preference has been expressed and no suitable accommodation is available at the amount identified in a personal budget, the local authority must arrange care in a more expensive setting and adjust the budget accordingly to ensure that needs are met. In such circumstances, the local authority must not ask for the payment of a ‘top-up’ fee. Only when a person has chosen a more expensive accommodation can a ‘top-up’ payment be sought.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
You're welcome - hopefully the social worker will now accept they have made a 'mistake' ;)