functional memory disorder(problem)/conversion disorder

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
Has anyone knowledge of/experience of the above condition, please.

[Edited January 9]

Hi Logan,

I haven't posted before or introduced myself, yet, but will do soon. (Am waiting on the outcome of a relative's memory clinic assessment).

If the diagnosis is

functional or dissociative neurological symptoms or disorder

also known in the DSM-5 as

Conversion disorder (Functional neurological symptom disorder)

you may find this website helpful.

I haven't posted sufficient posts to be able to post links but a search using search term

"neurosymptoms"

should bring this patient resource website up. Hope this may be of some help to you.

There are also links on the Links/Downloads tab for patient forums for Conversion disorder which may also be of interest to you.

Lavenderblue

Last edited:

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
[Edited January 9]

If you go to the site's "Welcome" page and look on the right hand side, there are links for various "functional" disorders, including:

Poor memory / Concentration (7 links down in first column)

This link opens page:

Functional Memory and Concentration symptoms

The disorders described on the patient resource site are termed "Functional symptoms" or "Functional disorders" because no recognized neurological disorder can be found on examination or where there is positive evidence of inconsistency or incongruity with known neurological disorders.

That is, they are considered to be due to a problem with the functioning of the nervous system and not due to neurological disease.

These disorders were known as "Conversion disorders" or "Dissociative disorders" but the term "Functional neurological symptom disorders" is now often used to describe them.

Lavenderblue

Last edited:

lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
UK
[Edited January 9]

Yes, that's the patient resource site. Thank you.

(Just to clarify, I have no personal or professional connection with the owner of the Conversion disorder patient resource site.)

Lavenderblue

Last edited:

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Dear Logan,

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to say re conversion disorder, but just wanted to say hello again - and I'm sorry that you are still obviously having problems re diagnosis of your husband's problems.

I hope that you are holding up with it all after all this time ;) and coping yourself x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Logan

Thanks for highlighting this.

Hope you are OK and bearing up.
love
Sue:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member