1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

functional memory disorder(problem)/conversion disorder

Discussion in 'Memory concerns and seeking a diagnosis' started by Logan, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Logan

Logan Registered User

Nov 1, 2010
    Has anyone knowledge of/experience of the above condition, please.

2. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Registered User

Nov 2, 2014
    UK
    #2 lavenderblue, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    [Edited January 9]

Hi Logan,

I haven't posted before or introduced myself, yet, but will do soon. (Am waiting on the outcome of a relative's memory clinic assessment).

If the diagnosis is

functional or dissociative neurological symptoms or disorder

also known in the DSM-5 as

Conversion disorder (Functional neurological symptom disorder)

you may find this website helpful.

I haven't posted sufficient posts to be able to post links but a search using search term

"neurosymptoms"

should bring this patient resource website up. Hope this may be of some help to you.

There are also links on the Links/Downloads tab for patient forums for Conversion disorder which may also be of interest to you.

Lavenderblue

3. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #3 nitram, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    "...I haven't posted sufficient posts to be able to post links but a search using search term

"neurosymptoms"..."

Is http://www.neurosymptoms.org/ the site you are referring to?

4. lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
    UK
    #4 lavenderblue, Jan 8, 2015
    [Edited January 9]

If you go to the site's "Welcome" page and look on the right hand side, there are links for various "functional" disorders, including:

Poor memory / Concentration (7 links down in first column)

This link opens page:

Functional Memory and Concentration symptoms

The disorders described on the patient resource site are termed "Functional symptoms" or "Functional disorders" because no recognized neurological disorder can be found on examination or where there is positive evidence of inconsistency or incongruity with known neurological disorders.

That is, they are considered to be due to a problem with the functioning of the nervous system and not due to neurological disease.

These disorders were known as "Conversion disorders" or "Dissociative disorders" but the term "Functional neurological symptom disorders" is now often used to describe them.

Lavenderblue

5. lavenderblue

Nov 2, 2014
    UK
    #5 lavenderblue, Jan 8, 2015
    [Edited January 9]

Yes, that's the patient resource site. Thank you.

(Just to clarify, I have no personal or professional connection with the owner of the Conversion disorder patient resource site.)

Lavenderblue

6. nicoise

nicoise Registered User

Jun 29, 2010
    Dear Logan,

I'm sorry I don't have anything useful to say re conversion disorder, but just wanted to say hello again - and I'm sorry that you are still obviously having problems re diagnosis of your husband's problems.

I hope that you are holding up with it all after all this time ;) and coping yourself x

7. Sue J

Sue J Registered User

Dec 9, 2009
    Hi Logan

Thanks for highlighting this.

Hope you are OK and bearing up.
    love
    Sue:)

8. Logan

Logan Registered User

Nov 1, 2010
    Thank you for your inputs. XX