Fun with the phone company

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
You know when things get so bad they become funny?
Last January I signed up for a new phone package with our existing supplier. The bills were all in Dad's name but as I wanted the new package we filled in a change of ownership form and sent it off so I would take over the phone bill.
I heard nothing back. They were happy enough taking the line rental payment from my debit card but that was it.
I emailed them a short while later and got a succinct e-mail telling me as my name wasn't on the account they wouldn't talk to me. I tried again and heard nothing.
I left it a while. I was in the process of applying for POA and dad was deteriorating fast. I didn't have access to his accounts and thought it best to wait until I had some legal standing.
The POA came through about a month ago. I sent out several copies to all the relevant parties including the phone company, with a cover letter - in their case explaining the situation so far.
I heard nothing.
A few days ago I e-mailed them a rather curt message explaining how things stand, including that my father no longer has capacity to hand the account over.
I received an e-mail this morning telling me to get dad to fill out a change of ownership form and send it off!! Plus it said they would e-mail me a survey at some point in the future to tell them what I thought of their customer service.

I have just had great fun composing an e-mail to tell them just what I think!

Kathphlox

Dec 16, 2009
Bolton
These companies really need to get their people some training regarding dementia and just exactly what it means then put in place systems for handling it..I hope you say so in your e-mail ;)

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
You know when things get so bad they become funny?
Last January I signed up for a new phone package with our existing supplier. The bills were all in Dad's name but as I wanted the new package we filled in a change of ownership form and sent it off so I would take over the phone bill.
I heard nothing back. They were happy enough taking the line rental payment from my debit card but that was it.
I emailed them a short while later and got a succinct e-mail telling me as my name wasn't on the account they wouldn't talk to me. I tried again and heard nothing.
I left it a while. I was in the process of applying for POA and dad was deteriorating fast. I didn't have access to his accounts and thought it best to wait until I had some legal standing.
The POA came through about a month ago. I sent out several copies to all the relevant parties including the phone company, with a cover letter - in their case explaining the situation so far.
I heard nothing.
A few days ago I e-mailed them a rather curt message explaining how things stand, including that my father no longer has capacity to hand the account over.
I received an e-mail this morning telling me to get dad to fill out a change of ownership form and send it off!! Plus it said they would e-mail me a survey at some point in the future to tell them what I thought of their customer service.

I have just had great fun composing an e-mail to tell them just what I think!

good for you...when I actually get hold of someone on the phone who is promising something or trying to pass the problem on I always ask for their name..then they know you will not be letting this go!!! (whether they actually care about that or not is another story)

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
Just an update:
The phone company now informs me they have sorted things and it was apparently my fault for having a bill outstanding before (Uh, we pay by direct debit!). They inform me I have to create a new online account so I follow their instructions only to be told my account does not exist!