full time carer

baz4896

Aug 4, 2020
hi to one and all, just wondering how do i set about becoming my wifes full time carer, we have had her PIP assessment done, and she will be covered by that, just wondering what I need to do next, my wifes children are not to happy about me becoming her full time carer, so im not sure how to go on

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its not difficult, you hand in your notice and on the first day that you are not working you apply for carers allowance (you can do it on-line) which gives you the princely sum of £67.25p per week.
Can you afford to live on that plus your wifes PIP? I am my OHs full time carer, we are both within working age, but we have no mortgage and OH has a small pension from when he was medically retired, so we can live on this, but its not easy.
Think very hard about giving up your work. It will affect any future occupational pension (though not state pension as the NI is paid by the carers allowance) and being a full time carer is harder than you would imagine.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @baz4896
I echo canary's 'warning' to really consider this more than carefully

it must be tricky for you if your furlough is due to come to an end ... might you drop some hours ... you can work and receive £110 a week (figure may have changed) and still qualify for carer's allowance ... do check whether you would qualify for any other benefits .... look into any disregards on Council Tax ... might you up the number of home care visits, only you know whether your wife is safe to be at home on her own

I gave up work to look after my dad, no mortgage luckily (didn't live with him) but savings so didn't qualify for any benefits other than carer's allowance, and a person cannot run a home on that so spent savings, and lesser pension now

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hi @baz4896
I echo canary's 'warning' to really consider this more than carefully

it must be tricky for you if your furlough is due to come to an end ... might you drop some hours ... you can work and receive £110 a week (figure may have changed) and still qualify for carer's allowance ... do check whether you would qualify for any other benefits .... look into any disregards on Council Tax ... might you up the number of home care visits, only you know whether your wife is safe to be at home on her own

I gave up work to look after my dad, no mortgage luckily (didn't live with him) but savings so didn't qualify for any benefits other than carer's allowance, and a person cannot run a home on that so spent savings, and lesser pension now
can he have attendance allowance as well?