Full Moon?

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
This may be a bit off the wall but I had a thought as we were driving home this evening and noticed a beautiful full moon lighting up the countryside.

It was something we joked about occasionally when Dad was sundowning that "it must be the full moon" but even though it was maybe said in jest at the time it did seem a bit of a co-incidence that he would often appear to be worse then. However, we were in no state to be scientific about it and it remained just a joke to lighten the mood.

Oddly enough it seems that Aunty has been very agitated over the last few days having been very settled of late. And now we have this lovely full moon.

Could it be????

Kriss

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Kriss, although not proven or anything, I think you will notice a lot of us can all tell a similar tale about our loved ones and the cycles of the moon. My mum definately did and when I was working we always had bad nights when the moon was full so it is more than coincidence in my book anyway. Love, She. XX

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss and Sheila,

Yep - I definitely agree about this. People do very strange [or even more strange] things for 3 days around the Full Moon. March and August seem to be the worst, since they are the largest Full Moons of the year, I think? Hunter and Harvest, if I'm not wrong. It has to do with magnetic pull or some scientific explanation these days. I think it's probably a bit more mystic than just that.

In Bali, alll major ceremonies are held around Full Moon for 3 days and a lot of these involve going to the temples at night and staying there, praying and making offerings to spirits and ancestors.

Jude

sue h

Jan 2, 2004
Maidstone, Kent
Dear Kriss
Some time ago my Mum made a connection between the time of the full moon and Dad's behaviour. She has since written down what he's like during that time. She'll be interested to hear that others have noticed the same thing as she thought she was being daft. I know that animals are sensitive to the moon phases so why not humans!
best wishes
Sue

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
This is quite fascinating and now to add to the weirdness of it all I've just read another thread (the Aricept one I think) where Jude had spoken of the moon.

Perhaps we get more phsycic with the moon as well? I promise I hadn't read it until today and then realised it was written earlier the same day.

Better ring for the men in the white coats to book me in for the next one?

Kriss

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Kriss,

I've already phoned for the men in white coats to collect me. We can always pick you up on the way... I suggest we stop off and have a wonderful evening meal at some nice restaurant with loads of champagne en route.

Suit you? Sounds good to me.

Jude

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Sue and Kriss,

Forgive my last silly quip.... couldn't resist it.

Anyway, I find all this mystic and psychic stuff rather fascinating. I'd be very interested to hear your mum's comments, if she felt like sharing them, Sue. The phases of the moon do influence humans - especially women, with menstrual cycles being attuned to 28 days. Also, the word 'lunatic' comes directly from lunar [moon] references doesn't it?

I wonder if it's just vibrations or waves or electrical impulses or something cosmic like 'collective un/consciousness'? I've no idea. It's very interesting though. Quite a lot of us seem to resonate to this effect in some way or another.

The Balinese are into this big time. Their Hindu/Animistic religion is based on 3 calendars [as if one isn't enough]. Firstly, the Moon cycle, then the Western Gregorian Calendar to which we all operate. Finally there's the Pawakon Calendar. This is even more complicated. Basically, their year revolves around 210 days, divided in to 10 week time frames. Some weeks have 1 day and so on, up to a week with ten days. The most important weeks are the ones with 3, 5,7 and 9 days in them. Are you still with me? Right, now it get's tricky.... Any week with an odd number of days in it which happen to coincide with either Full or Dead Moons, are designated as exceptionally good Ceremonial Days.

The 210 day year is not a random selection, since that was the exact time it took for the original rice crops to grow from seed to harvest. This represents inception, birth, adulthood, old age and death and involves ancient rites of fertility and reincarnation. These ideas also follow through in the language - ie: rice begins its life and teenage years in the field as 'padi'. Once rice is harvested at it's peak or adult status, it becomes known as 'beras'. When rice is cooked and eaten, which are stages that encompass death and rebirth, it is then called 'nasi'.

All of the planting and harvesting takes place on auspicious Moon Days and there is a very special Goddess that presides over all this activity, called Dewi Sri. She is the Fertility Goddess.

I got a bit diverted there.... but it does seem that the Moon has a fairly important part to play in things.

Jude

Last edited:

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Kriss
Make you laugh i hope - Sunday night i was at the hospital for rather a long time with Dad, i sneaked out for a dreaded 'ciggy' as i was a little up tight. I sat doen on the pavement opposite A and E with my ciggy and a water bottle filled with a little red wine that my hubby brought down as we knew we were in for a long wait.
An ambulance driver stopped to ask if i was ok as he was used to seeing waifs and strays sitting there - he blamed my activity on the full moon. Thankfully 3 hours later when i asked him if he could get Dad home, as he returned to the hospital, he cleared it with HQ to get my dad home and off the god awful hospital trolley!! It was then 3.30am in the morning!!!
But i will add that my Dad always gets with more with it when we are nearing a full moon - the rest of the time he is sleeping most of the time.
My sister is a full time carer with a care company and she always dreads a full moon!! I believe there is something in it.
Take care Sue

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Nothing to do with AD but ask any of my teachers - the kids are always worst when there's a full moon!!

Izzy

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Susan,

If you have to sit on a pavement outside a hospital, then the very best survival kit would have to be red wine and a packet of fags. I'm with you! Thank goodness for kindly ambulance drivers.

Jude

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jude - no chance of the kids going - I'm in front of them in the queue!!

Just remembered - one of our favourite films - 'Moonstruck' starring Cher and Nicholas Cage - La Bella Luna features a fair bit!

Iz

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Dear Susan

wine and ciggies in the gutter? Its a wonderful picture! And it seems you almost "pulled" as well! Good job "Dad" was around to chaperone!!!

Kriss

(please don't take offence I'm getting silly now - blame it on the moon).

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Kriss
My mum thought i had pulled when another young lad came over and gave me a hug as well as his life story - oh the goings on at A and E - another world!!! Have to laugh or you would cry!

Life is returning to normal now though - how boring!!
Love Sue

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Jude
I notice the words dewi sri,dewi is David in Welsh!
Sri is God in Punjabi.
What can we make of that?
I don't believe this moon business,look what happened to the boy with the belly button nut!!!
Bye
Norman

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Where ever do you find all thes things, I am still hoping to find something good enough to post and you just come up with them constantly. Well done. Love She. XX