Full CHC funding awarded today. Hooray!!!!!

Plymum

Jan 9, 2014
Just wanted to give hope to members... Mum has been awarded full CHC funding today. If I can give any advice to help you if you are applying - please ask.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Just wanted to give hope to members... Mum has been awarded full CHC funding today. If I can give any advice to help you if you are applying - please ask.

Would love to take you up on this. I think Mum's review is due Oct/ Nov time and this time I'm once again going to push my points.
The past 2 times she's been referred to panel but been refused.
Do you think putting something in that last section about the interaction of all her problems might make a difference?

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
Hiya :)

Pleased to hear to have qualified for funding. This is a new thing for me, and I've only found out about CHC funding through TP so don't know much about it. Can you apply for this funding even if the vulnerable person in question has savings and could pay for their own care ? Or is this type of funding for those who have no savings and can't afford to fund themselves ?

Many thanks for your help x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
CHC funding when a Primary Medical Need has been established using the checklist and DST tool.

There is no means testing, if care is delivered in a residential setting AA is forfeited, if in a home setting AA is retained.

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Well done you, we know only too well how much effort needs to go into the prep, I've spent hours and hours going through DSTs.

We have our independennt review panel tomorrow - I'm not hopeful but we'll try our best.

Meppershall

Aug 16, 2016
Bedfordshire
CHC funding when a Primary Medical Need has been established using the checklist and DST tool.

There is no means testing, if care is delivered in a residential setting AA is forfeited, if in a home setting AA is retained.

Thanks nitram x

I wil bear this in mind. All I have heard so far from SS is that 'you will self fund because of your savings' when referring to my Dad's needs, no mention of this funding being available ! They are sneaky lol

Thanks again :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thanks nitram x

I wil bear this in mind. All I have heard so far from SS is that 'you will self fund because of your savings' when referring to my Dad's needs, no mention of this funding being available ! They are sneaky lol

Thanks again :)

The bar for this sort of funding is incredibly high and most people with dementia never qualify as dementia itself is not considered to be a health need - it counts as social care.

Plymum

Jan 9, 2014
I found that having dated evidence for every point I made helped. I cross referenced everything and showed how all her conditions were complicated by dementia. Yes definitely bring everything together in the final domain. I filled in a blank decision support tool at home to help me get my thoughts in order ready for the meeting. I disagreed with several of the assessor's decisions and explained why I thought Mum was at a more severe level than he thought. I also spoke out about Mum only appearing to be doing well because her needs were being managed so well.
I agree totally with Canary that dementia is viewed as a social need. Mum has comorbidities that I was able to say were an added problem because her dementia meant that she had no notion of how to help herself. She also has severe dementia following a recent stroke. She scored "severe" in behaviour, cognition and psychological/emotional.
It was a LOT of hard work and I spent hours preparing everything before the meeting.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"The bar for this sort of funding is incredibly high and most people with dementia never qualify as dementia itself is not considered to be a health need "

Without comorbities it is very difficult, a primary on 'behaviour' is the most common.
You need 'a primary', 'two severes,' , or exceptionally 'one severe plus other other high scores', or even more exceptionally 'many high scores'

Attachments

• 2016-09-13_175336 (Medium).jpg
    2016-09-13_175336 (Medium).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 348
Last edited:

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Thank you Plymum, I'm starting to feel anxious at the thought of sitting in front of a panel who will probably do their best to tie me up in knots. Still, we owe mum a chance, to try on her behalf.

Plymum

Jan 9, 2014
I know what you mean about feeling anxious. But what you are doing for your Mum is praiseworthy. I'm sure you'll be passionate because you know her needs better than anyone in the room. Think positive and feign confidence for the duration of the meeting. Let us know how you get on. A virtual pat on the back winging its way to you.

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
I posted this earlier on the legal thread. Just got home after an emotionally exhausting morning. Unfortunately but not surprisingly we were not successful in our independent panel review meeting.

On the panel was a the chair, an academic who has had many years of experience in CHC claims, a nurse and a project manager from the NHS, again all with expertise in looking at CHC and two nurse assessors from the local health board.

In a nutshell they basically agreed with the DST That the LHB had done in april, we argued each point as much as we could and managed to increased mums scores slightly up in the ASC and behaviour domains and but it didn't make an overall difference.

They gave her
Behaviour - moderate
Psychological and emotional - low
Cognition - severe
Communication - high
Mobility - high
Nutrition - moderate
Continence - moderate
Skin - moderate
Breathing - no needs
Medication - no needs
ASC - moderate

They looked at the 4 key indicators and decided that despite mum having no cognition, doubly incontinent, needing intervention for every single thing, completely immobile that none of these was a primary health need.

Any argument about 'well managed needs' were swept away as apparently if needs are managed enough not to be a need it doesn't count?

Mention of the coughlan case or the Grogan case was pretty much pooh poohed as apparently it wasn't a test case so It doesn't count?

basically every way we turned one or the other of them had a quick answer so we just couldnt get anywhere.

We left feeling really disappointed naturally, I did have the final say and told them that it was disgusting that people with a genuine illness can be treated this way - at this point I became a bit tearful so we left.
So there. We have driven home and wondered exactly how Ill you need to be to be successful. All along the past 5 years she has been in care we have been told she doesn't qualify as she's not Ill enough but now she's so ill she's almost at deaths door she still doesn't qualify.

My Son has just turned 16, funny how he recieved his national insurance number a few weeks ago - they are quick enough to want to start taking his contributions....the whole system stinks.