Full blown Dementia over the weekend?!

Kazzab

Aug 17, 2020
I'm at a loss to understand how this has happened. Mum was diagnosed with Parkinson's Dementia last November and has been steadily declining over the months. Up until last Monday she was fairly good, very confused but seemed happy enough. In this last week she has rapidly declined. On Friday we ended up getting the Dementia Crisis Team out and again yesterday a Nurse and Doctor came and wanted to take her into respite as they could see what a state she is in as well as my Stepdad. My Step Dad flatly refused this and they ended up prescribing Mum a sedative to calm her down, They did a urine test on Friday which came back negative, I just can't understand how she now appears to have 'full blown' dementia within a week?
Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I would see about another urine test. Sometimes UTiIs don't show up immediately. Does your mother have a cold, a headache, a sore back? It could be anything physical which has caused the downturn.

But sometimes it can be the dementia finally overcoming the person's ability to hide most of their symptoms and the person becomes overwhelmed.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m another one agreeing with @Canadian Joanne. Both my mum and my husband experienced infections which didn’t show up in the first sample. I think it would be worth seeing if you can get another test done.

Maeny

Feb 28, 2020
I know this is slightly old, but a set of bloods would be good- check for imbalances and infection markers. Delerium can happen for non medical reasons- such as no longer coping- delerium/psychosis is often misdiagnosed as a deterioration of dementia- however dementia progression is usually more gradual.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour