FTD eating and drinking

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Hi I am a sufferer of FTD we think middle to late stages we think and I'm 46 years old.

Eating, regularly I really don't feel like eating or drinking at all and It can make me very angry if people try to force me, my wife is my carer but doesn't understand why I won't eat, at times I only eat a bit to keep her happy, in fact food holds no interest for me at all anymore, yes I am loosing weight but I don't care. Is this uncaring of me. Swallowing is also an issue sometimes I struggle or can't get anything down it's like I forget how to.

Funny thing is I used to love cooking for my family now I have no idea what I'm doing sometimes in the kitchen, I just stand there confused and can't even follow a damn recipe.

I wrote this for anyone else who may think it's just them with this issue of eating or maybe it's just me.

I know there is a protein jelly drink available which turns to jelly when added to water, does anyone know where to get it in the UK and what its called please?

At least then my wife can give me something to keep her happy, I'm fed up with everything had enough, sorry if this seems selfish on my family .

Sorry to rant but I don't know where to turn to as my neuro team has just been changed on me and the earliest appointment with the new team they say will be end of August (great)

LilyJ

Apr 13, 2017
I don't really have any advice but couldn't let your post go unnoticed.
I'm sorry that you and your wife are going through such a difficult time.
Maybe you could try talking to her, other than at mealtimes, about how having to deal with food makes you feel.
It must be hard for you both to have to deal with your condition but I'm pretty sure that the more open and straight you are with each other, the better.
Every blessing

Zana

May 12, 2016
Hi there, my OH has FTD too.

He still eats but I love to cook so if he mentions something he remembers from long ago I find it and cook it. I knew from the start that appitite would be affected at some point.

Your wife probably isnt angry with you I bet she is just terribly worried.

As for the drinks Im not enteirely sure what ones you mean but I do know that my MIL who has alzhiemers hasnt eaten for nearly 3 years now and has survived on liquid feed.

Link here; Hope this might help.

http://www.nutridrinks.co.uk/about

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH forgets to eat and says that he isnt hungry too.
He is also not aware whether he is hot or cold, or whether he is in pain or not. I think that the FTD stops him being aware of the sensations of hunger, cold and pain.

I am concerned about my husband because I love him and I expect that your wife feels the same about you. I give my husband things that are easy to eat like shepherds pie. I think smoothies might be heplful too.

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Sorry for the delay I got admitted to hospital again just got home. THANK YOU to everyone for posting I will post more once I can sorry

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Ensure

Doctors have put me on liquid food now, tastes
Good and I don't have to stress about food anymore