Frustration!

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
This is to students/professionals/carers etc. etc.

Do you have this problem?

You highlight an issue re: dementia and want to highlight and share it with people... only to find that NO-ONE is interested AT ALL WHATSOEVER.

An example: the 'Hands Off Dementia Drugs Campaign' - I posted that on a forum YONKS back, and although the membership was very high, it only had 13 views!

I mean... what is it about the word 'dementia' that makes people avoid it and cross over the road (or it's 'cyberworld' equivalent).

This isn't the case 24/7 I have to say... at my University (UCLAN/Preston) I took a LOAD of the campaign postcards in and a lecturer ver kindly let me distribute them... I must have shifted 40+ which is excellent, and I hope the people who took the cards have helped in the campaign.

But as I say, generally this doesn't happen... do people just not care or is dementia not as 'fashionable' as some of the more 'popular illnesses' - believe me, I don't choose these terms lightly, but I think that on a 'Top Of The Pops' type chart of illnesses, I reckon dementia wouldn't even be in the first 20!

I often wonder if I'm viewes as the person who's always 'banging on' about dementia by folk who know me, but I have to say, I don't think of that as a 'slur' as I am proud of my promotion of these issues... again (to bring this thread back to it's original point) I have to say that I wish more people were interested.

What's your views/experiences re: this?

N.

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I think people just naturally avoid the subject because they are scared of it. You always think it happens to someone else. You know, if AD were sexually transmitted, there would be alot more money alloted to it for research and a cure!

Debbie

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Why?

I suspect a little ageism is involved, people fear the old, the near death and a lot of the attitude that I've come across is, 'well they're going to die anyway soon, so why bother doing something about dementia?'. This is exacerbated when the public are given these soft, romantic notions about what dementia really is. (see all my angry posts about what I think on this topic!)

You might say, but the people your dealing with are educated folks, its amazing however how pervuasive any prejudices are no matter how much education you've had.

And lastly, caring about people with dementia is a HUGE commitment, it lasts a long time and brings few rewards and much pain, I think most people just don't have the stamina for it. Its not like being a good soul for 6 months until the cancer kills them, its year upon year upon year, of being so good and so caring it makes you want to throw up! (I know we all point out all the bad stuff we do on here, and all the guilt we have for not always being good, but in the big scheme of things, we all have taken on a huge commitment to be selfless for such a long time and even though we're all brought up to think that this is what we are supposed to be able to do, not many humans really are put in situation where they are put into a situation where they really have to be selfless consistently for years on end).

Finnian

Sep 26, 2005
U.K.
keep banging that drum, Dearth, even if you only succeed in interesting one person, its a step forward. I luckily work with a very dedicated team but outside this cocoon few people want to know. Historically elderly care has always been a cinderella service and its hard to shatter the myths. Add to that it comes under psychiatric services and most people back off. Jo Public doesn't want to know until it effects them. Dementia is not cuddly or sexy and there are so many prejudices to overcome.

Maybe for some of your college peers old age is unimaginable - how many college students have a good knowledge of pensions or have their will written out ? Its the sort of thing that isn't part of student life.

Keep the enthusiasm alive, do what you can as an individual and don't lose sleep if you can't bring everyone else on board. When your colleagues are ready to ask questions you'll be the one they approach. There's a lot of truth in the saying "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Dearth
the bottom line is that the human race is selfish.
So many are not interested if it isn't happening to them,and the very young cannot imagine even getting ill or old.
I have been ranting for years about ageism,at last I think goverment is doing some thing about it.
Any form of mental illness has never been fashionable and as said before put it with old age and!!!!!
Don't give up we get some small success along the way and it paves the way for those that come later.
Norman

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Thanks for all your input - it's reassuring to read what you've put and it's info. like that that makes me carry on!

It's a pity I couldn't ask people DIRECTLY why they don't give a **** and read their replies... the majority I suppose would be (if honestly given):

It's something that happens to all old people... so what's the big deal?

I don't know anyone who's got it - so why should I care?

I'm only in my 20s... why should I worry?

Or the classic: "Who cares... I don't!"

So yep... I'll probably be seen as making a 'rod for my own back' by wanting to work in Older Person's Mental Health... because a lot of folk steer away from it - but it's my area of interest and concern, so I'm striving to get a job in that area!

Keep your fingers crossed for me folks... in a weeks time I start my placement on one of the wards in this area, and then hopefully next April I'll be a qualified nurse...

My plan? Educate and challenge ignorance and stereotype at all possibilities, but most importantly - to engage the best I can in a care partnership with all the 'patients'/'clients' I come into contact with.

:)

N.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56