Frustrated with Mum

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
Mum fell and broke her hip last Friday. Successful operation on Saturday despite dire warnings that she might peg out on the operating table. Surgeons are extremely happy with the outcome and see no problem getting her back to her previous level of mobility. Mum has other ideas. She's always been quite independent and has had a running battle with her CH staff eg to get her in the bath but now things are at another level. The physios have been for the last 2 days to try and get her up and into a chair but she is having none of it. She's got more and more agitated with every physical contact and this afternoon she was beside herself. She spent most of the afternoon crying, wouldn't let me anywhere near her to console her, refusing anything to eat or drink, The nurse told me they didn't know what to do with her as she won't let them put a cannula in to give her a drip for some fluids, a response which I thought was pretty pathetic, but that's for another post!

Mum's only obstacle to getting better is herself. It's so frustrating that she won't accept help though I know she doesn't understand what is happening to her. Funny thing is, after all the agitation I combed her hair at teatime and she instantly calmed down, became a different person, ate some tea and drank loads! But I bet we'll be back to square one tomorrow.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Lancashirelady

Did your mum have a general anaesthetic for her surgery? If so it can cause increased confusion in people with dementia and it may take a while for your mum to recover. It`s less than a week and she may be finding it difficult to understand what has happened.

Even if she didn't`t have a general, the trauma of breaking her hip and the surgery, as well as being in hospital may have really taken it out of her.

Lancashirelady

Oct 7, 2014
Hello @Lancashirelady

Did your mum have a general anaesthetic for her surgery? If so it can cause increased confusion in people with dementia and it may take a while for your mum to recover. It`s less than a week and she may be finding it difficult to understand what has happened.

Even if she didn't`t have a general, the trauma of breaking her hip and the surgery, as well as being in hospital may have really taken it out of her.
Yes, I appreciate that. Her dementia is worse - today was the first time she didn't recognise me - but it's worrying that she is being so resistant. Any physical contact sets her off. The hospital staff are very concerned about her not eating and drinking, less so about getting her mobile at the moment, though I guarantee they'll keep trying and keep upsetting her.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Yes, I appreciate that. Her dementia is worse - today was the first time she didn't recognise me - but it's worrying that she is being so resistant. Any physical contact sets her off. The hospital staff are very concerned about her not eating and drinking, less so about getting her mobile at the moment, though I guarantee they'll keep trying and keep upsetting her.
Gosh you haven't even had a breathing space since her operation - and now this! It may indeed be the anaesthetic as Granny G says but I think she's just been overwhelmed, as in not recognising you today. Let's hope she pulls up OK again in a few days. Thinking of you. Carolyn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alister