Frontotemporal

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
I see things about people with dementia not liking change my husband has dementia and I am taking him abroad for Christmas and new year . I have had problems when we been away before but he is now on anti depressants so I am giving it a try . He wants to go and loves sitting in the sun. The kind of dementia he has got I have been told is bizarre and one cannot guess how he will react day to day. I am hoping we can have a couple of weeks away to look back on in the future .
I know he does like his comfort zone but I will give it this one try before it gets any worse. Fingers crossed

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Good for you :)

I know Izzy is just off on a holiday today to a lovely cottage but if she wasn't busy getting going, I think she would tell you to make sure you are well organised before you go

Airport assistance is a great help - even if you don't think you will need it now, maybe a good idea to get that sorted just in case. Plan for most eventualities that you can imagine and once on holiday relax and enjoy the sun :)

I do love planning holidays xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Morning!

I'm all packed.

Yes. 2Jays is right. Planning is the key! My husband has Alzheimer's and his dementia is really quite advanced now. The last twice I've had to take a carer with me. Even before that though I organised a wheelchair and airport assistance. Again your husband may not need this. The distances involved in walking through the airport and to the gate and so on meant that Bill got very tired so his confusion increased. The wheelchair also meant that we were taken through security which was a big help. Before I did that my heart used to be in my mouth when Bill got to the point of going through the security scanner without me. Now I just quietly tell the person searching that he has dementia and they don't ask him questions. I also told cabin staff that my husband had dementia. I know FTD is different and you'll know best what you need to put in place to avoid difficulties.

Like you I'm of the give it a try school of thought. If it doesn't work we chalk it up to experience and don't do it again.

Good luck!!

Pollyanna153

Jul 15, 2015
Holidays

Good for you :)

I know Izzy is just off on a holiday today to a lovely cottage but if she wasn't busy getting going, I think she would tell you to make sure you are well organised before you go

Airport assistance is a great help - even if you don't think you will need it now, maybe a good idea to get that sorted just in case. Plan for most eventualities that you can imagine and once on holiday relax and enjoy the sun :)

I do love planning holidays xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point
Thank you he does love the sun abroad and he has recently lost his driving licence
He not done fishing this year as he says I have to get up early to take him
Not a problem I drove him last year told him there the keys if you want to drive but didn't let him drive me. He didn't drive himself. I knew I was safe on that score
It is just sad that he losing parts of his life and he can't really understand why. This is a cruel illness
So hope the holiday not a bridge too far but wahey here goes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC