Frontotemporal demntia

Lolaure

Aug 8, 2015
Last year my father was "officially" diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia...It all started four years ago when he retired at 61...He was a very active man, ambitious and hard-working...When he retired, he obviously slowed down and we all thought it was due to his retirement and a little bit of depression, that he needed time to adjust to his new life but things never improved and my mother started a long string of tests, scans, memory tests...We eventually found out his illness last July but unfortunately in a year he deteriorated severely, spending his day eating, showing inappropriate behaviours...It really put us all to the test :(
My mother tried her best and cared for him for as long as she could but last week we all decided that he was safer in a care home...It was the worst day of my life, I feel cheated that I am losing my father so soon...
I am French and all my family is in France (I live in Kent) so I am trying my best to give all the support they need but I feel so guilty and helpless at times. I have two young children and had to explain with simple words to my seven year old that her "papy" had a poorly head...
I have also reduced my working days to be able to go to France as often as I can but also to spend time with my children and husband...This horrible disease made me reassess my own lifestyle...
I was very much like my father always working so I realise what my priorities were and there are certainly not work anymore...
Marie x x x