Frontotemporal Dementia - is anyone caring for someone who has this type of dementia?

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
@Cazzita Ive just been reading your post. I was diagnosed after almost 3yrs of tests withFTD the behaviour type. If I can be of any help I’m more than happy to talk.
All the best :)

@PJ Thank you so much!

Hope you are doing okay despite this FTD thing!
My mum has been given an antipsychotic risperidone but it also on citalopram for depression - which she does not have! Will these drugs interact badly do you know? Or should I get her taken off the citalopram? Many thanks and I will be asking you questions for sure!

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Yes I’m doing ok thank you :)
I’m on citalopram 40mg a day (have been on these for approx 15yrs) & the Memory clinic put me on Olanzapine 2.5mg a day once I was diagnosed to hopefully help.
I’m not drepressed but I do think some days I’m in denial as I just can’t believe this has happened!

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Yes I’m doing ok thank you :)
I’m on citalopram 40mg a day (have been on these for approx 15yrs) & the Memory clinic put me on Olanzapine 2.5mg a day once I was diagnosed to hopefully help.
I’m not drepressed but I do think some days I’m in denial as I just can’t believe this has happened!

Hello,
Sorry @PJ I didn't see this before personally replying to you.
No wonder you are in denial - I think I would be too!
Hope the meds help as much as they can :)

Deeeji

Oct 16, 2018
Hello all,

I have just joined the site today after a review with my fathers neurologist and when reading some of your posts you've made things a little clearer for me and helped me re-evaluate my initial thoughts and beliefs.

My dad is 57 and was diagnosed roughly 18months ago with AD and the UCL suspect it to be FTD although the local neurologist isn't convinced. Back in 1999 he and my mum separated and ever since he has been a depressed person, he tried to pick himself up and had a very superficial lifestyle which he chased women, fast cars and unfortunately drugs. He had smoked marijuana for years and in roughly 2009 developed a cocaine addiction too. Alongside all this he would isolate himself and sleep for days at a time, he would mix drugs with sleeping pills and it was just an unhealthy environment for all! Looking back I think this is something he has been battling with for a long time... He is now deteriorating fast, he struggles to make sense and express himself, he refuses to do anything, try new activities and he paces up and down constantly. He's very afraid and convinced that he's dying and we're all keeping a big secret.

My sister lives in Reading so she's a few hours away and so isn't really involved much but I'm local so deal with most things on my own. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old and have baby number 3 due early March and I'm struggling to keep my dad independent at the moment. He too have days where he lashes out, makes rude remarks and sexual references which are very embarrassing when in public especially now I'm showing with bump.

I think this has turned into a vent but just wanted to say hi to everyone to say its a relief to hear and see I'm not alone but could really do with some people to talk to in similar positions if anyone is up for a venting and hopeful friendship throughout the journey ahead.

Thanks, D

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello @Deeeji , it's so good to be able to vent or rant on here, so keep doing it.
You are in an awful position and it is far too much for you to be managing on your own. I think you might need to see his GP or call adult social services in your area and tell them how he really is on a day-to-day basis and hopefully, he will get some help. You can't carry on with this amount of responsibility, especially with 2 little ones and another on the way. Take care of yourself first.
Sorry you are in this position, like all of us on here xx

hatto33

Nov 3, 2018
Keen to bump up this post as my mum now has FTD. Any posters on this thread able to update on how your PWD has been over the last couple of years? Thank you
Hi, my mum has FTD. She has been prescribed Memantine and it has really helped to settle her. May be worth enquiring about?

echoing_green

Jul 8, 2018
Hi there,
My dad was recently diagnosed with FTD and is taking donepezil hydrochloride, do you think it is worth trying to get Memantine prescribed?

Laura40

Dec 10, 2017
England
My husband has the same diagnosis but so far no aggression. I do hope it stays this way. He has such a mellow personality.
He takes, clopidogral, sertraline and atorvastatins. he also has some gastro pills to stop ulcers caused by the other medicines.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for with mematine.

Mematine is used generally for severe Alzheimers, or for people who cannot tolerate the side-effects of donepezil.
As your dad has FTD, rather than Alzheimers you may well find that neither of them make any difference, or, at worst, may increase things like aggression or inappropriate behaviour.

Its probably best to contact the doctor who prescribed the donepezil and talk it over with them

Liz1977

Nov 29, 2018
Hi Everyone,

My mum has sadly been diagnosed with fronto-temporal dementia at 62 years old. She started showing signs of depression a few years ago, wanting to go to her room and sleep at variable times of the day. Since then, she has deteriorated rapidly, changing from a glamorous mother, who wore beautiful clothes, perfume and make-up, to someone I barely recognise. Although her memory is still fairly good, she has changed in really unusual ways. She bites her fist a lot and makes really unusual faces, she sings in an operatic way at times. She can be hyper-sexual and talks about sex sometimes when at other times she can be very childlike and 'steals' chocolate from the cupboards. She is incontinent but doesn't clear it up and we have to remind her to wash herself.

She's just a very different person and over the last couple of years, I have had to grieve for the mother I once had and deal with the mother I have now.

I live and work in London and go home to see my Mum and Dad every two weeks at the moment. This gives my Dad someone else to talk to and a bit of company for them both.

I am in my early thirties and to lose your mum at this age is heartbreaking, I haven't got married or had children of my own, so I just feel really alone in dealing with this situation.

I love my mum so much and will do anything to help her, but every time I see her I just feel she is slipping away from me.

Does anyone else know anyone suffering with this type of dementia? It's quite different to Alzheimer's and it would be lovely to hear from people going through something similar.

x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Liz1977
a warm welcome to TP

I think you tried to add a post to this thread using the 'Reply to member' button, which always begins the reply by quoting the post you are responding to, and that can be a bit awkward

you can instead scroll to the top of the page and press the blue 'Reply to Thread' button at top left, then type your post in the text box

or scroll to the bottom of the page to find the empty text box, type your post and then press the blue 'Post Reply' button

I hope you post soon with anything that's on your mind, members are a knowledgeable and sympathetic bunch

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix