Fronto-temporal Dementia

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Hazel,

Thank you for finding this article. Peter suffers from FTD and this article describes it so well.

I just wish I could find a support group geared to FTD as I find that even people who are dealing daily with, say Alzheimers, do not fully understand the particular difficulties that FTD cause.

The 40 - 50% possible genetic cause frightens me. What future for my children? I daren't think about it too much.

Mary-Ann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
It is frightening, isn't it? But I think we have to focus on possible lifestyle causes, and try to convince them to eat sensibly, exercise, and avoid stress. Not easy for today's 40-somethings!

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
At diagnoisis i was told hubby had Alzeimers. Two weeks ago now told its FTL this worries me as well. Will out only son be struck. But which one does he have? I was told Alzheimers confirmed as he started the myoclonic jerks. His speech has just got worse after seizures 5years into it

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
John was also diagnosed as Alzheimer's seven years ago. Two years ago the diagnosis was changed to PPA, which is a form of FTD.

But he was atarted on Reminyl on diagnosis, and has done very well on it. It's not supposed to work on FTD patients!

Our consultant did say that the diagnosis can only be confirmed at autopsy!

Westie

May 14, 2007
South East London/Surrey border
Peter's diagnosis was made on the basis of a MRI brain scan he had. It showed significant areas of atrophy in both frontal temporal areas but very little loss in other brain areas.

However, I was rather surprised to see the consultant and his registrars referring to medical journals at Peter's first assesment review meeting. They all turned to each other and said things like "well, I think it's like page 75, what do you think?" There was lots of toing and froing of ideas until they all settled on "most probably Picks, but definately some sort of FTD"

And I thought they were the experts and I was terrified going into the meeting!

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Thanks for that Hazel. I'm going to print this off and give it to mum's doctor at the next appointment - who knows when that will be!!!

I'm convinced this is what mum has - there isn't a symptom on there that she hasn't got - even the family's quotes are what we are constantly saying about mum.

We too worried a little about the genetic side but given that as far as we knoW no one else in our family has ever suffered with it, I can't see how it could be genetic for us.